Video Game Stuff

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Video Game Stuff

Postby IanC » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm

Was playing some Minecraft on my PS4 earlier and for some reason the game decided to spawn 4 creepers over 2 in game nights. What. Why. dang things. One blew up the front of my house :( Managed to snipe two with my bow, and the other blew up some scenery.

And to make it worse i was playing on easy. Easy! Gaaaaahhhhhhh
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:40 pm

Tales of Vesperia (360). Tales of the Abyss (DS). Good?

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm

I bought a DS! I'm playing Pokemon Y. I feel super bad because a gym leader had this Lucario, and the Lucario apparently liked me so much it decided to fight for me instead of the gym leader (which she was only slightly annoyed by, to my surprise), and then it wanted to join my party. I don't particularly want a Lucario because I have my own (less good, but god dammit I'm not ditching my Croagunk just before it evolves) guys, but it is the done thing to attempt to fill one's pokedex. So I took this creature on, which had betrayed its closest friend to be by my side, and immediately filed it away. As I uploaded it into the PC, I whispered: 'Percival, you were never more than a conquest to me'.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Picked up one of these little beauties. Yes it has a received a lot of hate, but I'm liking it. Remote play is amazingly smooth, it plays so much like on the PS4, control wise (you can use a dual shock 4 with it) and compatible Vita games look and play well.

Killzone Mercenary is amazing. Controls have been remapped for use on a control and it plays like a console FPS. Good game too! Just wish the multiplayer was more reliable, keep having connection problems.

Oh and I got Minecraft for it too, again lol
My Spamusements!

quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Doing a second playthrough of Batman: Arkham Asylum, because some time ago I had to replace my PS3 and subsequently lost all my saves on my older games. I encountered a fairly hilarious bug in the Croc's Lair section of the game: See, you're supposed to be slowly sneaking around the sewer on shaky floating platforms, and if you make too much noise, Killer Croc starts charging at you, signaled by dramatic music and maybe a taunt from Croc (things like "I have your scent!"). But this one time the computer apparently misjudged where I was on the map, so I heard that dramatic music, followed by Croc charging in the completely wrong direction.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:59 pm

I like how different the cover art is for Minecraft, depending on the system. Specifically, comparing the 360 version to the Vita version.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Nyperold wrote:I like how different the cover art is for Minecraft, depending on the system. Specifically, comparing the 360 version to the Vita version.

I think you mean Xbox systems vs PlayStation systems, since all the versions on one "brand" seem to have the same cover art. For example -
Aside from slight differences in cropping and a different subtitle, its the same image.

On which note, its amazing how close the Vita version is to the PS3 version. Lower res and a closer draw distance, thats about it. Its even full cross save, (can swap world between platforms) while the PS4 version is a one way import (due to world size differences).

Yes I have essentially the same game 3 times. Yes I'm mad.
My Spamusements!

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:47 pm

I noticed something In Wind Waker that I hadn't noticed in roughly a decade of owning it.

When you look at Forest Haven on the map (zoomed in all the way), pay attention to the northeast part, where you land. There's something odd about that shape, like it's... familiar somehow. Maybe you know what I mean.

I don't make comparisons to it likely. A lot of the time, when people say something looks like it, it's kind of a stretch. Here, I'm surprised to have noticed it without anyone's help. I even watched the LP of Wind Waker and nobody pointed it out.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:47 am

Given the context I assume it looks like a Triforce or something. Am I going to have to dig out my copy just to check?
SIGNATURE: GONE

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:23 am

Un-farore-tunately, it's not the Triforce. You may have to dig out your copy.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Did a second run through of Walking Dead Season 1 (picked up the PS4 version from the PSN Store for £8 over Black Friday weekend). dang, the final episode still gets me. First time playing 400 Days, was alright. Short, but sweet.

Got my PS3s hard drive upgraded at long last, slightly peeved that the OS gobbles 10% as a cache regardless of HD size. fork off Sony. Started playing One Piece Pirate Warriors 2, lots of fun. Even if some of the characters that I'm supposed to know i don't, because i haven't seen that far into One Piece anime wise (and haven't read any of the manga. I have seen just unto the Skypiea arc. This takes place after the 2 year gap). Probably my third best Warriors game (after Hyrule Warriors and Samurai Warriors 4).

And I got a few games for Christmas, so i was playing one of them today, LittleBigPlanet 3. Which is good, even with the developer change (though tbf Sumo Digital have handled the LBP2 DLC for a while now, so they have worked on the franchise). Its also A Bit of Fry & Laurie reunion, since Hugh Laurie joins the cast as a major character (while Stephen Fry is the Narrator again. It wouldn't be a LBP game without him!)
My Spamusements!

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:09 pm

I've been playing Mount Your Friends from time to time. On Christmas Eve I even went so far as to invite a friend back for some local multiplayer. Pretty entertaining. We also played Toribash and the Binding of Isaac. And traded Pokemon. Dude needed a bulbasaur.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:57 pm

Still haven't played any of my Christmas games aside form LBP 3 (I also got Walking Dead Season Two on PS4 and Vita, Shadow of Mordor and Metro Redux on PS4, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel!, Uncharted 3 and Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix on PS3) but i got Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- for the PS4 in the post today. Stupid name aside, its really good. It plays fast and fluid like a 2D Fighting game, but its actually 3D. Not just 3D, but it uses Unreal Engine. Which i never really associate with fast fluid fighting, lol.

I mean look -

(Also woah, I-No. *nosebleeds*)
My Spamusements!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:29 pm

Completed LittleBigPlanet 3s story mode. Was shorter than the last two console LBP games, i swear. Also despite the long list of QA people... its buggy still. Last level has a good one - Toggles small form doesn't appear. You need to use him on the first part of the stage. Oops (when you die as him in the small form, it respawns you.... as a sack boy. Who is Toggle. Huh?)

Yeah. GG Sony/Sumo. Gotta to get it out in time for Christmas, bug testing be durned!

Going through my back log, started Uncharted 2 today. Kinda worrying that I'm 2 hours in and apparently have completed 20% of the game already?
My Spamusements!

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:31 am

I picked up destiny on a boxing day sale through the xbox one online store, and I have to say I am happy. I tested the beta and liked it, so I knew i'd come back to it once it dropped in price or if I got bored of titanfall (which I haven't since I only have time to play games once or twice a week these days). Equally surprising, I was happy buying my game online, because I actually did it from my computer knowing I wouldn't get to my console until evening, and it was downloaded and ready for me, so I was really happy. Also, no tax, and I was using free money from the $75 they gave me to switch in the summer. Win-win-win.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:29 am

Who has a 3DS by the way? I am seeking friends for my friend safari in Pokemans Y, but I don't want to register random strangers from the internet! I feel like that would be tricking the system. My friend code is 1435-6228-7304 and my friend safari is apparently packed to the gills with terrible Ice pokemon! Anyone wanting a Bergmite, a Snover or a Piloswine should head my way!

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 pm

Completed Uncharted 2. Loved it, thought it was great. BUT, the final boss? Sucked. Its a run and gun with a puzzle element. Which would be fine, but the games controls aren't designed for run and gun.

Exploring? GREAT. Sneaking around. COOL. Ducking in and out of cover and shooting? GOOD. Running and gunning? NOT SO GOOD.

Oh and I beat One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 the other day, got the normal ending (which is actually kinda bad since a character dies and all) and am working on unlocking the last story mode missions.
My Spamusements!

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 pm

I've been playing Xenonauts! It's basically X-Com, made new for the 21st century (but not as new-for-the-21st-century as the other XCom). Very almost the same thing, with some tweaks to make it nice to play. It is excellent. The bullhonky is juuuust about at the limit of what I can tolerate, but that's fine. The only real, actual problem is some of the ridiculous friendly fire situations that crop up. Like, when two soldiers are in single file and an alien appears in front of them, maybe the back one should not attempt to fire reaction shots through his coworker's intervening torso. The best ones are when the front soldier survives the friendly fire and turns to face the firer, allowing the alien to shoot him in the back as well.

I also had a comedy failure where two soldiers stood shoulder to shoulder and fired at an alien. The first one hit, but didn't get the kill. The second one somehow managed to shoot his coworker, at point blank and a very nearly 90 degree angle to the target. Then he crouched down and let a third soldier, a sniper, fire over him for the kill. Next turn, the friendly fire victim went berserk and unloaded a full clip into the sniper. Who even needs aliens? My soldiers can lose this war without their help.

Hold on, I had a screenshot with the same formation from the second try (I unsportingly reloaded a quicksave because it was bullhonky), and I've labelled the relevant narrative:

Imagine what it must have been like for the guy carrying the shield.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:22 pm

"Oh for crying out loud, these guys are such idiots."

Anyway, StarFox Adventures.

Okay, those of you who've played far enough may know that, in order to enter LightFoot Village (outside of the time you get knocked out and wake up in there), you have to hit the three trees with bulls'-eyes painted on them in a particular order. This is mainly useful for getting back in for your reward after rescuing the baby LightFoots (LightFeet?) who like to climb trees. Well, I was running past the SharpClaw patrolling that area when one attacked, hitting a target tree and making it flash red. That gave me the idea to experiment. The findings of this experiment?

Apparently, you can lure a SharpClaw into opening the gate for you by getting him to hit the target trees in the right order.

Yeah, it's faster and less dangerous just to hit the trees with the Staff, but it's just amusing that it's possible.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Today is a good day I think to play Wind Waker New Game Plus.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:05 pm

I tried Magicka: Wizard Wars! It's hugely disappointing. Free to play, you see. And the tutorial begins and ends with 'how to heal yourself'. The next step is to enter a game, with the introduction: 'Kill enemies to collect souls! Souls weaken the opponent's Effigy!', and that's it. Then my team lost some shields (whatever they are) and some kind of checkpoints or something (I don't know), then we got beaten up for about ten minutes, then we apparently lost (presumably something bad happened to our effigy?). A tutorial covering what we were supposed to be trying to do would have been okay I guess. But yeah, then at the end of the match I'd gained some experience and unlocked some items, so unfortunately it looks like it's all based on time played/money spent. I dunno, the actual running around casting spells thing was pretty good and I'd like to try it with a proper team (our opponents really obviously had some idea of what they were doing), but I'm not interested when I'm not even told the object of the game before playing online. And then find that I can't be competitive because other people have put in more hours and have better gear.

The tutorial problem isn't even unique to this game though; I had the same problem when I briefly tried DOTA 2. It told me how to hit an enemy, use a spell and buy a stick. Then it put me into a game, gave me a spreadsheet of about a hundred characters, a shop with about a hundred items (almost all apparently useless to my character, but with no way of knowing what I needed and no time to read the descriptions), then told me a tower was falling(?) and I presumably needed to do something about it(?). It seems like this whole type of game is built exclusively for people who already know basically how they work.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Mon May 11, 2015 6:55 pm

How did I not report on this before now? I must remedy this.

Okay, a while back, I was watching the Wind Waker LP. In one of the videos, Ambisagrus had his screen split four ways, and had recorded video of four 3D Zelda games: Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess. The latter three, he was playing from the beginning in the time it took him to do the tree-watering sidequest in Wind Waker and claim his Piece of Heart from it. By that time, he had gotten the Slingshot in OoT (as well as a sword and shield), the Moon's Tear in MM, and... a fish in Twilight Princess. (He might've gotten the Slingshot, too, if he hadn't gotten confused and left his fishing after the first fish. I couldn't see his Rupee count, though, so maybe not.)

So I decided to see what I could do in Wind Waker in the same time.

I double-clicked the video file and selected... it was either "Done" or "OK!" in the naming screen.

Wind Waker has the longest opening cutscene of any of those four. All the games were in their interactive portions long before Aryll ever showed up. In addition, while I basically did things like swim directly from the bottom of the ladder to the shore of the opposite island and didn't bother at all with wrangling pigs, I also dropped in on Sturgeon (the brainy old man) and listened to his spiel. (I didn't look at his notes, though. Still, that's time that could've been trimmed back a bit.)

Given all that, the end result was that I was in the cutscene after Tetra fell from the tree (which heavily implies that I had the sword and shield there, too) by the time Ambisagrus got that Piece of Heart. So I guess if that's your metric for what makes a better game, there you go.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sun May 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Wow i haven't posted in ages. I got a New Nintendo 3DS XL. The Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Limited Edition, which i have obviously played quite a bit of (though I've just got to the high rank caravan quests). Amazing game, and it really is more accessible than previous Monster Hunters.

Aside from that, Bladestorm Nightmare on PS4 (completed the Hundred Years War mode, still need to start the Nightmare mode. Which adds dragons and other fantasy creatures), Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments on PS3 (great game! Well worth a look if you want a mystery solving game with puzzles and some brilliant voice work), Toukiden: Kiwami on PS4 (which is Tecmo Koei's MH rip off, sorry, influenced game. Its about slaying Japanese legend styled demons. See? Totally different)... still playing Mario Kart 8, loving the latest DLC, oh and i started Bioshock Infinite the other day, which is really good.

Probably more too... but eh.
My Spamusements!

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:47 pm

My favourite and most distinctive recent gaming experience has been Her Story. It's mechanically incredibly lightweight: all you do is enter search queries and watch videos. I don't want to say much, because all of the joy is in the discovery, but to briefly summarise, you are trying to get to the bottom of a murder that happened twenty years ago with nothing other than video footage of the victim's wife's responses to police interview questions. The actor, Viva Seifert, puts in an impressive performance, especially considering she has to carry the whole story on her own. Other than that, though, much of the game is actually happening in the player's head, as you try to piece together events and decide for yourself what happened. Given that, with the right search strings, you can watch the clips in absolutely any order, it's a truly nonlinear experience, but I found there to be a natural and satisfying dramatic arc nevertheless.

It's on Windows, Mac and iOS and it doesn't cost very much. You can be done with it in a couple of hours, or you can spend a few more and find everything there is to find like I did. I recommend it either way.

Other than that I've been playing a bunch of GTA Online on PC. I have a group I play with every week, but they seem to be losing interest, and I don't really see myself getting far in structured modes with strangers (I'm not much good at any of the game types, particularly races, although I'm not terrible at avoiding crashing in planes, which is sometimes enough to succeed), so it's all a bit aimless, but I still find myself coming back to it pretty frequently. I just enjoy driving around the city in my souped-up cars, occasionally getting into gunfights with gangs or stealing cars for Simeon. I should be making progress in other games, or at least working at the story mode in GTA V (though I have already beaten that on Xbox 360), but I don't really feel motivated. I should probably play The Witcher 3, but it seems like they'll be patching that forever, and I was actually looking forward to Arkham Knight, but I've heard word it could be the end of the year before that's in a fit state on PC. I have a huge backlog of things I could be playing on my new and competent PC, but I'm unfocused. I should probably get a more constructive hobby, but I don't really want to.

Anyway, give Her Story a shot. I really like it.
SIGNATURE: GONE

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Alright I'll try Her Story. Sound interesting. In looking it up, I also came across LISA, which seems kind of interesting. You (apparently) make choices that affect you in ways that actually make a difference, like you get your arm lopped off or whatever. Seems like one of those games that get spoiled the more you know, but it's currently cheap so I can play it once and never again. Like Pokemon! But around 10% of the price. If only Pokemon were a less railroaded experience. If you played that game once, you'd get the same dang stuff that every player does. Unless you use an emulator and a randomiser, which I guess you should.

On a related note, I've been playing with Pokemon Showdown, the Pokemon battle simulator. It's the battles in Pokemon, except you don't have to catch and raise the dang things. In a way that was the whole joy of it, but also I observe an alternative joy which it is figuring out how to beat people at Pokemon without spending a thousand years making constant changes to your team. Pokemon is complicated. So yeah I recently swapped Seb the cool Aztec bird for Toby the cool sumo wrestler, to shore up my crippling weakness to ice types. I miss having my Aztec bird because he was my super cool favourite, but now I suddenly win games? So there you go. OH also Wexley, the robot ghost, replaced Meg the witch ghost because Meg was too dang frail. Wexley get the job done, maybe Meg could learn from that.

Return to “None of the Above”