Movie log thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: Movie log thread

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:19 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Am I dick enough to post the grammar Nazi video

I guess not
K, what did I do wrong? Was I supposed to put the other party first?
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:Am I dick enough to post the grammar Nazi video

I guess not
K, what did I do wrong? Was I supposed to put the other party first?

Yeah, that. My wife and I. Or I guess you could say 'I, and my wife, loved Sucker Punch.'

Now I feel bad. I just wanted to say the same thing I said before. for repetition!

God I can hardly spell nowadays. I could spell when I was a child.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:37 am

See, I don't think "I and my wife loved Sucker Punch" is ungrammatical at all; it's just against a stylistic convention so entrenched that deviations from it can be quite jarring. It's not grammar, it's etiquette.

Anyway, I heard that Sucker Punch was quite bad and kind of offensive. I've not seen it, though.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:58 am

James wrote:Anyway, I heard that Sucker Punch was quite bad and kind of offensive. I've not seen it, though.

Yeah, I walked out less than halfway through. There was no plot.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm

I don't care what the reviews say, I enjoyed Cowboys Vs. aliens. It is faulty and all, but the basic idea and all. And it has Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig is great. The Olivia something girl I couldn't care for.

Green lantern sucked. I've never really cared for the character, so my impression may stem from that, but I felt the other green lanterns were being inexplicably thick and just people of dubious character. Also: The sun!
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:24 pm

I just got done doing this thing where I watch 365 movies in a year, except it probably took me a year and a month but I kept doing it anyway. My last "official" movie of this was The Cruise, this documentary about an eccentric tour guide in New York City. It starts feeling like spending 80 minutes with a harmless but crazy guy who just keeps on talking the whole time, but the thing is I think I've spent about that much time being talked at by harmless crazy guys and I sort of find it interesting.

The actual last two movies I've seen are Season Of The Witch and Get Him To The Greek. Season Of The Witch was pretty bad, but at least Claire Foy was good in it, and also ZOMBIE MONKS. I don't always go for Judd Apatow stuff and in my limited experience it's doubtful that Russell Brand is ever funny when not playing Aldous Snow, but Get Him To The Greek was entertaining enough.

Oh, I also watched every Nightmare On Elm Street movie. Basically my opinion is that the original, Dream Warriors, and Wes Craven's New Nightmare are the best ones, but even the bad sequels in the original series are amusing in a wtf kind of way. The remake has some good sets and a couple of decent "updated" versions of scenes from the original but is ultimately pretty dull. And there's a pretty cool 4 hour documentary on the original series called never Sleep Again.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:55 am

movies i have recently watched:
scott pilgrim vs the world -- i think this and juno are the only michael cera movies where i have actually enjoyed his performance. this movie was a little over the top but i found it very hilarious.
inception -- interesting take on dreams and mind control, but i liked it better when it was called dreamscape
close encounters of the third kind -- my gf said she had never heard of this movie so of course i had to make her watch it. at the end when they started the credits her comment was "i knew this movie reeked of spielberg!"
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:22 pm

sum yun gai wrote:movies i have recently watched:
scott pilgrim vs the world -- i think this and juno are the only michael cera movies where i have actually enjoyed his performance. this movie was a little over the top but i found it very hilarious.

I know it's not a movie, but did you watch Arrested Development? He was great in that.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:29 pm

All right, I have now seen X-Men: First Class. Pretty sweet movie, but there were several things that bugged me. Or rather, the actions of one person: Hank McCoy. First, he takes the gang out to see Cerebro, something he built without having had a telepath to base any of its design on or even knowing if he would ever meet a telepath. So basically it was just wasted grant money until the gang showed up.
Then we cut to later in the movie, after Hank has transformed himself into Grover, where the team walk in to find his lab wrecked and follow his instruction to open the X-box, whereupon one of the members comments that "Hank has been busy." So wait, sometime between bouts of furious rage at being transformed into Hairy Smurf he broke out the sewing machine and made 8 suits? Maybe he made them prior to that point, you say. Possibly, but we know that he made at least one of them that night, because he had a suit on that fit his new larger frame, one he had acquired only the night before, where we saw that his normal clothes no longer fit him. I don't think my grandmother, who is a whiz on the sewing machine, could make a T-shirt in 8 hours, nevermind a full-body jumpsuit made to withstand several G's.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 pm

ntw3001 wrote:I watched Rubber and it was surprisingly good. A killer tyre goes round killing things (this is explained no further in the film than in this post), and other, confusing things happen. People are watching! They die.

Watched this tonight. Actually one of the best films I've seen recently.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:05 pm

i watched the first 30 minutes of the hangover and it was too vapid and inane to continue past that point. i kind of knew a bit what to expect but even then i was underwhelmed at how cliche the movie was.

but, i did watch chinatown as well, which was apparently such a good movie that i've never heard of it but a lot of people have rated it in those "top x movies of all time" kind of thingies. and it was definitely a very good movie, even for its age.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:34 am

We watched Hanna the other day. Some of the foreign cinematic styles made it into the movie, which might be a little strange for American audiences, but I do recommend a watch.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:37 pm

I watched The Inbetweeners Film the other week. It's not really everyone's cup of tea, although I can't really think of anybody I know who didn't like the TV show, but I actually found it very funny, certainly funnier than The Hangover. It was much, much funnier than The Hangover 2, which for me started well and finished well, but slowed down to a crawl in the middle without an awful lot to laugh at.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:30 pm

I watched The Exterminating Angel by Luis Buñuel the other night. It was like an extended, free association version of The Twilight Zone. I really enjoyed it. I generally haven't been into Surrealist works because of their lack of plot, but there was a vague coherence in the way one idea carried over to another--like the logic of a dream--even if for the purposes of the film's critique religion and the bourgeois lifestyle became interchangeable. Or maybe his point was that they are. Who knows.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 am

I got the DVD for Going Postal and watched it on Saturday. It was so much fun I watched it again last night, something I never do! So many things come together so well; it's not just Terry's writing but the skill of those who put together the movie. The screenplay adaptation: Brilliant. The directing: Brilliant. Sets/costumes: Outstanding. Acting: Fantastic.

Although I enjoyed the first two Discworld movies this production company made, they both had their flaws, to the point where only a hardcore Pratchett fan would enjoy them. This movie OTOH is done so well done and is so much fun I think it would be readily accessible even to someone who doesn't know a thing about the discworld.

The comedy timing is perfect. The novel's funniest bits successfully made it to the screen play where the actors' impeccable timing had me laughing my ass off. Which is one of the reasons I had to watch it again last night; I missed a number of things the first time around from laughing too hard.

It's also a wonderful story that really pulls you in. The transformation of the anti-hero into a real hero really pulls you in. His flaws, I think, make him a real person that most people can relate to. And again, the acting really carries the day; there are truly moving scenes where you're really pulling for the guy.

Best movie I've seen in a long, long time. 8)

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:16 am

Yeah, it's been encouraging to see those things improve each time. I got some sort of satisfaction from seeing Discworld portrayed on-screen in Hogfather, but beyond that I felt is was really very weak as a programme in its own right. The Colour of Magic took some steps in the right direction, but Going Postal was probably the first one I could be comfortable saying is quite good independent of the fan curiosity value. It still helps a lot to be a Discworld fan, I reckon, but I can see the latest effort offering something of worth to a newcomer. I don't know if there are plans for another one -- I think Sky have done them each as a Christmas two-parter. I'd be curious to see what they do next: thus far they've gone for the seasonally appropriate (Hogfather), the genesis (The Colour of Magic), and the up-to-date (I don't remember whether Going Postal was the most recent book at the time, or even now, but it's certainly among the latest few). That seems to cover all the obvious spots, so it's not immediately obvious where to go next. It's probably quite likely that they'd stick with the newer ones, but I'd quite like to see stuff from throughout the run. Perhaps the start of a different subset: the witches, the watch, or something. The latter would probably work quite well on-screen, although it might be nice to see something away from Ankh-Morpork. Small Gods, perhaps. And I've always been fond of the Death books. Anything would be fine really, though, as long as it keeps improving.

If they are even doing another one, of course. I haven't been keeping up. I think they've been successful, but I think it's also quite expensive to make.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:27 am

I read that Sky is currently starting production on, of all things, Unseen Academicals. Wouldn't have been my choice, for sure.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:56 pm

Going Postal was an Easter special, IIRC. And yeah, its a real good 'un.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:09 pm

Even though I've not read any of the Discworld novels (sorry everyone, it's not that they don't appeal to me, I just never got around to it), I still found the Sky productions to be very enjoyable.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 pm

PonderThis wrote:I read that Sky is currently starting production on, of all things, Unseen Academicals. Wouldn't have been my choice, for sure.

Sticking with the new stuff, then.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Watched "Thor" today. Stunning looking film, the bits on Asgard in particular were jaw-dropping. Film was really good too. And I really like the run of completely out there directors Marvel are using. Kenneth freakin' Branagh? He was such a good fit for it though, considering his love for the character, and his Shakespearian heritage.

Also nice post credits bit too.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 am

I thought Thor was fine, but nothing particularly exciting. The best stuff was the comedy of juxtaposition: Thor smashing his cup on the ground and so on. The action itself didn't thrill me much.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:38 pm

I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy tonight. I've heard people saying that it was boring and the like, but I didn't find it boring at all. In fact, it was fairly engrossing, or at least held my attention well. Perhaps they're just not much for the genre. I'd definitely recommend it, though.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:12 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:I watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy tonight. I've heard people saying that it was boring and the like [...]

Were you talking to children or something? The film has been pretty much universally praised in my experience.

I didn't realize it was directed by the same man as Let the Right One In until after I'd seen it. It seems Tomas Alfredson produces GOOD WORK.
Last edited by James on Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:12 am

Finally got around to seeing The Guard tonight, before it left the theatre.
Excellent dark comedy. It reminded me of bits of Fargo, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, and The French Connection.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

Return to “None of the Above”