BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
Bogey
Reserved a Satellite Dish System For You

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Bogey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:41 pm

I'll make it unanimous. Happy new year! :D

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:50 pm

Yes, yes. New Year happiness all around! Pajamas ALL day = awesome.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:22 am

Happy New Year from me as well. My buddy gave me his old cell phone which is like 6 years newer than my phone so I am quite pleased with that, and hope to get it set up today. Als for Christmas stuff, I got some games I wanted and a waffle maker on an axel for optimal results. I also won my fantasy football pool, and so used the money for a new spring and fall coat, which was sorely needed. Anyone else feel like sharing?
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

I feel like I need a new winter coat, but only because other people keep telling me my coat isn't warm enough. I don't know how they know this. I can't look at a coat and assess how good a job it's doing keeping its wearer warm.

What did I get for Christmas? My friend got me fox-shaped salt and pepper shakers. I never add extra salt or pepper to my food, but I love foxes, so I'm very pleased with them. My mom got me an infinity scarf with foxes on it, too. It was a very foxworthy holiday.

I spent New Year's Eve with my mom. We watched the US version of Drunk History, a wide assortment of music videos (Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Backstreet Bots, Nsync, various Kpop and Jpop artists), and lots of Rifftrax (the spinoff of MST3K starring Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett).

I spent New Year's Day with my best friend watching stuff and eating a delicious spread of snacks we got for ourselves. The first movie was Frances Ha, which my friend recommended because I have a thing for Adam Driver, but his character is such a douchebag in that movie that I couldn't appreciate his weird face. Then, for the purposes of making fun of it, we watched Dead Silence, which is a movie about actual ventriloquist dummies and human bodies mutilated to look like ventriloquist dummies that kill people. Finally we watched The Twilight Zone.

Good holidays, overall. I try not to worry about going out and having a good time on New Year's, and that helps me enjoy it more, I think.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:02 am

jvcc wrote:lots of Rifftrax (the spinoff of MST3K starring Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett).

New Years Eve I left NYC to visit my cousins in Ye Old Rural Middle of Nowhere, and we also watched Rifftrax. Actually we relived Sharknado (which we saw in theaters together) after watching I Believe In Santa Claus. I'm pleased this is now an Official Cultural Thing that is enjoyed by real people.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:37 pm

This place looks weird now!
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Well, I don't like having everyone's name on the right, but the rest looks ok. Also wish all of the icons don't move, though. Anyway I'm just happy this place is here, and working.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:43 pm

I hate morning shifts. Got to try and get some sleep
My Spamusements!

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:40 am

Am I imagining things or did Kupo's mother predict 9/11?
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3734457325

All I know is Jame's voice melts the steel beams of my heart.

Hello. :mrgreen:
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:43 am

James should totally be a professional narrator.

And yo, good to see ya. How's tricks?

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:56 am

PonderThis wrote:James should totally be a professional narrator.
And yo, good to see ya. How's tricks?

Hey Ponder. Things are pretty good, thank you for asking.
Glad to see you're still around, man. The place looks good :mrgreen:

I've been meaning to drop in for a long while, but I've just been feeling so rushed and busy.. The last couple of years have flashed past.
Work, family and commitments.. I need to clear some time for creative pursuits and good people.

To be honest, though, I hit shuffle on my iTunes and that mp3 popped up.. which was great.
What's new? I'll have to trawl through some threads for a while :lol:
Hope you're all happy and well.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am

Welcome back

Look at technology... SCARY!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Thank you for uploading that! My favorite association with that dramatic narration is Nik's anecdote about it coming up on her iPod while she was on the highway, just as she pulled up to the manned tollbooth, and that she started laughing so hard she was crying.

I fully support any creative endeavors you want to undertake here. Or anywhere, but I'll enjoy them more if you start them or share them here.

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:11 am

ntw3001 wrote:Welcome back

Thanks Enty, hope things are going well for you.
jvcc wrote:Thank you for uploading that! My favorite association with that dramatic narration is Nik's anecdote about it coming up on her iPod while she was on the highway, just as she pulled up to the manned tollbooth, and that she started laughing so hard she was crying.

haha that's awesome. I don't remember that.
The poetry one still makes me laugh out loud.. which is a testament to both Neil.(?) Daniel. (?) and Jmz.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=41660293339338281783

jvcc wrote:I fully support any creative endeavors you want to undertake here. Or anywhere, but I'll enjoy them more if you start them or share them here.
Naww, thanks javles.
My problem is lack of time.
I get up, I do morning-chores, I go to work, I come home, I do night-chores, I go to bed. Also, I've been doing the same sort of work for many, many years.. which is killing my brain.
I gave up Facebook completely a few months ago, as I was just filling spare time sifting through other people's (mostly) dross. I didn't watch television for most of last year.. and yet I'm still only getting 5 hours of sleep a night.
Anyway, enough about my troubles. I've resolved to try and make more time for creative stuff, so hopefully I'll stick with it.
:n/

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:51 pm

Dusk wrote: :n/

That's the spirit! I saw you had been on xbox like 2 months ago at some point while looking at my friends list and it gave me a chuckle. Hopefully you'll stick around, in the sense of posting every so often. I miss your comments :)

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:40 pm

You missed a telepic!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Dusk wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:Welcome back

Thanks Enty, hope things are going well for you.
jvcc wrote:Thank you for uploading that! My favorite association with that dramatic narration is Nik's anecdote about it coming up on her iPod while she was on the highway, just as she pulled up to the manned tollbooth, and that she started laughing so hard she was crying.

haha that's awesome. I don't remember that.
The poetry one still makes me laugh out loud.. which is a testament to both Neil.(?) Daniel. (?) and Jmz.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=41660293339338281783

Whoa, I've never heard this before. I got three lines into that before I had to make a choice between laughing, eating my apple, and continuing to listen. I chose to laugh and eat my apple.

I will now resume playing it and see how much further I get.

I got all the way through, but it was a struggle to eat my apple. It was that hilarious.

Dusk wrote:
jvcc wrote:I fully support any creative endeavors you want to undertake here. Or anywhere, but I'll enjoy them more if you start them or share them here.
Naww, thanks javles.
My problem is lack of time.
I get up, I do morning-chores, I go to work, I come home, I do night-chores, I go to bed. Also, I've been doing the same sort of work for many, many years.. which is killing my brain.
I gave up Facebook completely a few months ago, as I was just filling spare time sifting through other people's (mostly) dross. I didn't watch television for most of last year.. and yet I'm still only getting 5 hours of sleep a night.
Anyway, enough about my troubles. I've resolved to try and make more time for creative stuff, so hopefully I'll stick with it.
:n/

Try devising a Tom Sawyer-esque scheme in which you trick others into doing your morning- and/or night-chores for you, sans compensation.

Mysty wrote:You missed a telepic!

We can always do another one!

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:44 pm

I genuinely have no idea how 'telimpressive' turned into 'telimpressive'. That's too weird to type on autopilot.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm very stupid. I have a word replacer on my browser that replaces every instance of 'impressive' with 'impressive'. Odd, it normally only replaces whole words.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Anyone else think the search on phpBB is kinda decidedly unpleasant?
My Spamusements!

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 pm

I think that's always been the case too. I can remember, years ago when there was so much content you couldn't keep track, plugging in exact sentence-fragments and coming up with no results that were close, then ultimately finding the thread the long way and confirming that, yep, it was exactly how I remembered the wording. I don't think there's much that could be done about that, and if there were, I wouldn't dare put it on Ponder's plate :)

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:28 pm

I think using google advanced search is probably the best way to search for stuff on the forum. The phpBB one just seems to class too many terms as "too common" or "too short"
My Spamusements!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:19 am

I have until Monday to figure out what to do, but I'd appreciate any advice you all have to offer.

The semester just started and I have two students who are super attitude-y. It's two women and they're clearly friends because they sit next to each other, talk to and giggle with each other, and are otherwise on their phones throughout all of class. I've called them out on the phone thing twice so far, but today it escalated.

I gave the students thirty minutes to write, after which I'd tell them what was going on for the next few weeks of class. Then they could choose to leave early or they could stay and continue to work/ask questions. The two students were headed out the door before the thirty minutes was up.

"You don't know what's going on next week," I called to them.

They paused in the doorway and one asked, "Well, what's going on?"

"You have to wait to find out," another student explained to them.

They both pulled sassy expressions, looked at each other, laughed, and then left.

I was livid. Surprisingly, the remaining students started to sound off about their dislike for the girls, which is not something I wanted to foster but it was personally satisfying.

I need to figure out how to approach this come Monday. The urge to publicly shame them is strong, but that's probably not pedagogically sound. But they usually come late and leave early, so there's really no way for me to approach them without it being in front of everyone else. I just need to make it clear that they can change their attitude or drop my course.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:49 am

I think I'd just offer them the option of seeing me after class, letting me give them poopcakes in front of everyone or never showing up again. I'm not sure whether that's a good plan though.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:59 pm

It is a pretty good plan, provided you can give them those options discretely. You are there to provide a service to a paying client base, and you cannot have that experience compromised for most of them. As such, you have to take that responsibility seriously. They likely won't get that from a metacognition point of view, but you'll have to try. Also, let a supervisor know.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:33 am

Obviously this is early in the semester/term, but how disruptive can they get before you are allowed to drop them from your class?

Or, barring that, take satisfaction in the knowledge they'll soon fail and give you a bad year-end review?
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Return to “None of the Above”