BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: BLURT thread

Postby jvcc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Not a blurt, but something I've done for school is going to be hosted/published on the Algernon Charles Swinburne Project site and has to be encoded in XML first. The professor who runs the site says he could do it but will be busy until September, so I offered to try my hand at it. I'm not asking anyone to do it for me because that would be overstepping my boundaries by leaps and bounds, but does anyone here know a bit about XML in case I get horribly stuck and confused? Essentially I'm anticipating that I may need to ask for advice occasionally and this seems like the most likely place for me to find help.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:11 pm

I can't promise that I'd be any help, but if you find yourself having trouble I could at least take a look.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks, guys. Upon further discussion I've learned that it's a specific markup language called TEI. I'll make a valiant effort at it over the summer, but after reviewing more information about it my expectations aren't overly high.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

I should set fire to my credit card.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

Android Replica
WON THE LOTTERY

Postby Android Replica » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:26 am

fanelian wrote:I should set fire to my credit card.

You should use Ennio Moricone's score for "The Good, The Bad,and The Ugly" when you do this. Then post the video to YouTube.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Wed May 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Hypothetical scenario: someone mentions the inquisition. You want to make a cheesy joke in response. Would you go with Monty Python, or History of the World Part 1?

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu May 17, 2012 4:31 pm

EsBe wrote:Hypothetical scenario: someone mentions the inquisition. You want to make a cheesy joke in response. Would you go with Monty Python, or History of the World Part 1?

Because of this, I'd have to say go with HotWP1.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Thu May 17, 2012 6:12 pm

EsBe wrote:Hypothetical scenario: someone mentions the inquisition. You want to make a cheesy joke in response. Would you go with Monty Python, or History of the World Part 1?

Eddie Izzard.

"Talk, will you? Talk!" "But it hurts..." "Well, loosen it up a bit then."
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Sun May 20, 2012 2:04 pm

PonderThis wrote:

Because of this, I'd have to say go with HotWP1.

I was fully expecting the link to be to this.

I believe you made the better choice.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:22 pm

I've become a bit annoyed at the news coverage of the incident in Miami, Florida where a man was eating another man's face. I looked up bath salts on WebMD and they had an interview done with the director of the Oregon Poison Control Center which was peer reviewed by another physician. The director said that there is no test for bath salts and you can only know if someone has taken them if they tell you. From what I've read about the occurrence (I looked it up on the BBC World News website, for one, I can't remember the other sources), a Miami police officer said he thinks it was bath salts because they've had four other cases of violence due to people using the drug. But that is, at best, an educated guess. In terms of the ramifications of the incident being presented in this way, the worst that could really happen is that people stop wanting to buy and use bath salts, which is fine, even though they'll just be replaced by another "designer" drug. But I'm going to have to keep seeing bath salt and zombie related jokes on the internet for at least another week and it will only remind me of the poor journalism behind all of this. Gah.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Bugger, just lost a long post. To summarize:

Holiday in Sweden. Met girl. Liked girl. Genuine surprise: girl liked me. Phone numbers, kisses. She went back to Gothenburg. Felt pretty great for a couple of days. Back to England today, text message waiting: she's still interested. Continued good feeling. Gradually anxiety and doubt set in. Obvious practical problems. Also self-doubt concerning viability of connection (a concern tempered by the memory of her endearing mannerisms). Nervousness regarding the prospect of letting go completely, given her loveliness (plus my profoundly uninspiring track record in romance).

I feel like what I really need to do is meet her again, but travel costs money and time, and I'm pretty sure that kind of stress would be thoroughly non-conducive to getting to know somebody properly. I can't tell if I'm being utterly foolish for even considering it.

On the other hand, I do have some money set aside for holidays, and this year I did promise myself that I'd actually use up all my holiday time, rather than cashing most of it in at the end of the year, and I know that pessimism and self-doubt are things that hold me back in a lot of regards. Perhaps I could make this work. Perhaps I just need to think about this positively. I spend my money on fairly stupid things anyway, and I had been seriously considering spending an extended period of time in Sweden to learn the language. Perhaps my stupid mind is just trying to find a way to sabotage its own happiness.

I don't know, though. Is this the kind of stupid crap I was supposed to get out of my system in my teens? I ask for your thoughts, but I fear what they might be.

How much of an idiot am I?

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Go for it. It doesn't sound like there's much of a trade-off. I guess you lose some holiday time you could have spent in, uh, Cambridgeshire? Yeah that's right Cambridgeshire. James.

I seriously need some similar event. I got together with this one chick a couple of weeks ago, but she seems to be in a troubled long-term relationship (which does not make me feel like a good guy, but an entire bottle of 47% rum told me I should feel some sense of diminished responsibility). But boy howdy I would like something more feasible to come up. Once I'm back in Essex, that's unlikely. Oh well.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm

The main problem is that I don't have unlimited holiday time, so what will I do when it runs out? But whatever, I guess I can worry about that later.

Thanks for the encouragement. It actually cheered me up quite a bit.

With regards to achieving a similar situation yourself, all I can recommend is having an entrepreneurial uncle who starts his own art museum and invites all his staff to one of the opening parties. And being a total catch, obviously.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm

ntw3001 wrote:Go for it. It doesn't sound like there's much of a trade-off. I guess you lose some holiday time

Pretty much what I'm thinking the way your framed your post and all with the availability and such. Why not actually use some of those days for vacation sharing it with someone whose company you enjoy. Worst case scenario you are left with some decent memories and will have actually done something that's not the monotonous mundanity of your everyday life. That last sentence probably came off a little darker than I had intended, but the point is why not enjoy your life?
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:15 pm

The dark sentence alludes to pretty much what was bringing me down, so it was pretty accurate. Besides, I'm no stranger to making things sound unexpectedly and unnecessarily bleak.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Meh, I dated a girl in highschool who moved to Holland for 20 months, and it was fine. I took 2 trips for a week each, and enjoyed that. There was the knowledge that she was returning home but I honestly didn't use that as some source of strength, I mostly just enjoyed our phone conversations, sexy MSN video chats and ICQ chats, and our 2 visits. I lost out in some respects but I felt it was the right move then and I don't regret it now when I think of it in terms of what I knew then.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 pm

My blurt: almost 15 years after I had the same done, my wife is having her appendix out as we speak. what gives???
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:24 pm

My friend's parents, who are fundamentalist Christians, just found out that he's gay and are kicking him out of the house in July. He's my age, so he's old enough to live on his own but we're pretty sure he's bipolar and for a while he's found it difficult to do basic stuff, let alone learn how to live by himself. He's going to stay with my brother and his roommate for a bit, but their lease is up in September.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:53 pm

That must be tough. I find it difficult enough to function as an adult without any psychological conditions (that I'm aware of). My thoughts are with your friend.

sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby sum yun gai » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 am

james: do it! even if things don't work out it's far better to take the chance then it is to always wonder what might have happened.
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:55 pm

James wrote:That must be tough. I find it difficult enough to function as an adult without any psychological conditions (that I'm aware of). My thoughts are with your friend.

I went to get my license renewed today and when the man at the DMV asked if I had any mental or physical problems which would affect my driving, I said no and he looked at me searchingly. I soon realized that he hadn't heard me, but for a moment I thought he was skeptical about either my mental or physical capabilities.

Anyway, thank you for your kind thoughts. And yes, you should go for it with the Swedish girl--or the girl of another nationality who was vacationing in Sweden (I'm not sure if you specified).

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:34 pm

jvcc wrote:
James wrote:That must be tough. I find it difficult enough to function as an adult without any psychological conditions (that I'm aware of). My thoughts are with your friend.

I went to get my license renewed today and when the man at the DMV asked if I had any mental or physical problems which would affect my driving, I said no and he looked at me searchingly. I soon realized that he hadn't heard me, but for a moment I thought he was skeptical about either my mental or physical capabilities.

Anyway, thank you for your kind thoughts. And yes, you should go for it with the Swedish girl--or the girl of another nationality who was vacationing in Sweden (I'm not sure if you specified).

I once made a throwaway comment on a driving lesson and convinced my teacher that I had Attention Deficit Disorder. I'd made some tame excuse (note: my excuse was not that I have ADD, it was something stupid like I'd just driven past a newspaper board and was looking at the headline) to deflect blame for a mistake and then every durned driving lesson afterwards saw her asking me what help I was getting in school to deal with my condition. Fortunately she later decided to only teach people to drive cars with automatic gear boxes, which saw me get a new instructor who did not think I had ADD and who pointed out that the previous woman had, in fact, taught me everything wrong. On reflection, that may have been because she was too busy speculating about the location of various places where I could seek help for around 3 months.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:19 pm

being in a relationship with someone you enjoy is pretty much what makes one's bleak and mundane existence bearable. I say go for it.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:43 pm

rickin'-frackin' relationships. Don't bother. You will only get hurt and have your heart broken. Stay single.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Return to “None of the Above”