BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Re: BLURT thread

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:43 am

Reading the article, it's more understandable than you think. It's not like it was an entirely different song; it was the same song with one verse changed.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:30 am

Seems to me if Germany'd just come up with a new anthem they wouldn't have to worry about people performing the "wrong part".

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:49 am

I think they should only play music, without vocals at ceremonies, for all countries.

Mexicons National anthem is quite long but we only actually sing an abreviated version everywhere. I don't know all of it and not many people out of elementary school do.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:29 pm

PonderThis wrote:Seems to me if Germany'd just come up with a new anthem they wouldn't have to worry about people performing the "wrong part".

^^ THIS

Or just stop getting so rickin'-frackin' uptight about the Nazi thing.

Those that try to forget history are doomed to repeat it, after all.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:52 pm

I think the Germans are uptight about it because people can't separate what the Nazis were and what the Germans are now. It's kind of like if your dad was a serial killer before he died and now people won't trust you to watch their children. You'd be kind of upset about that.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Little slow 'round these parts today.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:47 am

PonderThis wrote:Seems to me if Germany'd just come up with a new anthem they wouldn't have to worry about people performing the "wrong part".

Seems too me if the USA'd just come up with a new flag they wouldn't have to worry about people including the "wrong number of stars".

Sorry, perhaps that isn't a fantastic analogy, but my point is that national symbols matter to people, and it's pretty callous for an outsider to demand that one be changed simply because they can't be bothered to learn or remember a change made over sixty years ago. OK, you didn't actually demand anything, but to put the blame on the Germans smacks of cultural insensitivity, particularly since it doesn't take much work to do the basic courtesy of ensuring your rendition of a country's anthem and flag is correct and up-to-date, particularly considering that it was presumably somebody's job to get that right.

Besides, that song existed long before the Nazis, so it'd be a shame to ditch it, especially considering that the odds are the that the replacement would be even duller than the current one. I mean, I'd understand if they had changed it right after the war, and am a little surprised that they didn't, but that's entirely their prerogative, and I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask that others sing fewer words when they play it, especially considering the care that is taken not to offend the myriad sensitivities regarding some other countries' names, for example.

IanC wrote:Or just stop getting so rickin'-frackin' uptight about the Nazi thing.

Those that try to forget history are doomed to repeat it, after all.

Wouldn't the uptightness suggest that the memory is still very present, to the point of discomfort? I agree that we should be able to laugh about these things, in part because I don't associate modern-day Germany with the Nazis at all, but it's kind of understandable that when a moment of pride is subverted like this, it's kind of offensive.
Last edited by James on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 am

James pretty much articulated everything I was thinking, but was (and still am) too lazy to put into words.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:24 am

Oh, I see now that I wasn't clear on my comment. I'm floating on pain killers since yesterday, let's blame it on that.

What I meant is that Nobody plays the "incorrect" (the one only so few actually know the lyrics to) part of the Mexican anthem, so why should they play the incorrect part of the German anthem? I agree it's dickish that they would make that mistake, as James said, it seems kind of important when organizing an event of this nature to make sure you've got it all correct.

I'm reminded of something about a guard band playing the Imperial march when some Arabian dignatary visited the UK... Oh. Here it is.

PAIN KILLERS.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby traubster » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:58 pm

I hate brightly colored paper. Especially bright orange. It's such a bullhonky situation.

Shaking your fist at people should replace giving the middle finger. It's always more fun.

I have no problem halting conversations with an exceptionally off-color comment. When everyone stops to look at me, I just start dancing.
"Not every moment can be awesome."

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:49 am

traubster wrote:Shaking your fist at people should replace giving the middle finger. It's always more fun.

I prefer giving them the raspberry! :P :wink:
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:04 am

Bite your thumb at them.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Anyone know where I can get A4 paper in the US?

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Whyyy

suspicious

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 pm

jvcc wrote:Anyone know where I can get A4 paper in the US?

If you want some fancy paper (think: "I'd like to pay 3 times as much as normal paper!"), my husband has a list of paper supply warehouses that he has been happy with. If you don't want fancy paper, then he can't help.

EDIT: nevermind. You can just go to amazon and search for "A4". My husband says that sometimes buying one ream of paper means it won't be packed very well, so you may end up with minor damage to the paper.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks, Loofah. I've ordered it.

I have a professor who insists that things be printed on A4 paper, Enty, even though no one in the US has apparently ever heard of it.

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:22 am

I made some Hawaiian Honey Burgers tonight--basically hamburger patties with spices like cinnamon and curry powder and a few others, with a fruit garnish. There was one left that was supposed to be for my SIL when she got off work. I left it on the outdoor patio table, covered with a napkin so flies wouldn't get on it. The burger was left unattended. I didn't realize any of the chairs were close enough to the table to allow a very small dog to reach it. My stepdad went outside and found the plate on the ground, along with the fruit. The entire patty was nowhere to be found. :o

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:07 am

jvcc wrote:Thanks, Loofah. I've ordered it.

I have a professor who insists that things be printed on A4 paper, Enty, even though no one in the US has apparently ever heard of it.

Well that explains everything, raising no further questions and tying up every loose end. But, and I'm just saying this, can we manage to work in a possible sequel hook?

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:07 am

But...I'm fairly certain that almost every sheet of paper I've ever used is A4. What paper is commonly used in America?

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:24 am

MysticalDescent wrote:But...I'm fairly certain that almost every sheet of paper I've ever used is A4. What paper is commonly used in America?

I believe the most common and similar size is called "letter". There's also "legal", which is taller or something. I don't think they have the whole A4-is-two-A5s-side-by-side thing the ISO paper sizes have.*

Here, this graphic is pretty instructional, as is the article it's from.

* EDIT: I was somewhat wrong. There is a correlation between the longer edge of letter and the shorter edge of ledger/tabloid (the two being the same dimensions in different orientations), and this correlation was further extended by ANSI in 1996. So instead of the confusing-to-an-outsider term "letter", you could call the standard US paper size "ANSI A", although I don't imagine many people would know what you were on about.

uncle-raping PAPER, GOD dang IT

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:18 pm

MysticalDescent wrote:Bite your thumb at them.

i do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but i bite my thumb, sir...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:46 am

Friday I took a shower. Yesterday morning both catass and I noticed a new friend in the bathtub. A moderately sized (for inside a home in Colorado) spider has decided to make the overflow cap structure of the bathtub its home. I wasn't sure what kind it was, so I went to get it with a glass and it scurried back inside the overflow cap. To entice it to come out, I sprayed a hint of water at it, hoping it would come out. It went farther back in. Son of a bitch. OK, gave it some time....now its back half in-half out of the overflow cap, where I still can't get to it. I don't kill spiders, unless I absolutely have to. I usually just take them (if they're the common house spider) to the large window areas of the common areas of the building to live as no one ever seems to clean there and they can live their lives. This one I'm going to have to take outside. It appears to be some kind of funnel-web/grass spider. Warning - spiders!
I've quarantined off the bathtub so the cat doesn't find it (no idea if she could eat it and get sick or not).
We'd like to shower today, but I'd also really like to save this spider. Decisions, decisions.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:43 pm

At the childcare center where I've just started working, the only thing more prevalent than children wetting themselves is wolf spiders (which is probably the largest spider you'll find in this part of Illinois). Normally if I were to encounter one, I'd run away, but for the sake of the children I've had to either kill or release the rickin'-frackin' terrifying creatures.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:18 pm

But what about the spider wolves?

badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS

Postby badplantmommy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:21 am

The itsy bitsy spider went up the water spout. Down came the rain and washed the spider out.

I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. :P

Return to “None of the Above”