BLURT thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Re: BLURT thread

Postby EvilJekyll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:46 pm

IanC wrote:Riots

I just read through those links that you posted. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. That's some scary stuff. It seems that the common theme for rioting is black man gets shot by police, riot ensues.

James wrote:
EvilJekyll wrote:I'd try the people you were closest to at Uni first. This is twofold, as you will enjoy the experience more (less feeling awkward about what to talk about,) and they're more likely to say yes.

IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION, I saw them at the end of last week at that wedding I went to. That's what set all this stuff off, really. [large distances involved defeat happenings]

Apologies. I meant that you can always choose whom you will want see based on a priority of likeability, with distance and other necessary factors are already taken into account being implied.

e.g., I know people from uni that live a few states away, and are likable, put I will choose the likeable people that are closer to my location with that taken into account. (Oh god, which form of likable is the real one?)
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:52 pm

I hate it when I come here and there are 2 new pages of interesting conversation in a thread and so I missed out on all the good stuff.

I've always found that a cure for melancholy is to do something productive, which isn't easy because when you feel like that you often don't want to do anything at all. Sounds like you are taking steps in the right direction James. As for the gym, I totally recommend it. I suggest just using weight machines instead of free weights because they are pretty simple to use. Invest in a post-workout protein drink, it really makes a difference.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:59 am

giantsfan97 wrote:Invest in a post-workout protein drink, it really makes a difference.

Chocolate milk works just as well actually. Don't overdo it on the protein either. A lot of excess protein can put stress on the kidneys over time, in addition to being converted to fat for storage. This site says 1.5-2 g per kg body weight, but I think that's a little high. (My degree is in nutrition.)

Also, you should eat within 30 minutes after a good workout for best results.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 am

Christ, this is all sounding a bit involved.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 am

Wait, your degree is in nutrition? Mind if I ask you a question? Is "grazing" a good idea? It is, as I understand it, eating small meals throughout the day, but I don't know how frequently or how many calories are supposed to be in each meal/snack.

EDIT:
Also, I'm meeting up with an eighteen-year-old guy from the dating site tomorrow for coffee. If one extreme doesn't work, I will try the other. I've already been Skyping with him, so I know that he's attractive and normal, but my expectations are also realistic.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Zombie Protestor » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 am

I can field this one! Grazing is, in general, a bad idea. There is an exception, but I will get to that in a moment. If you add up all the food you graze on in an 8-hour period (the average of all time between meals that you normally aren't eating), it needs to be less (calorie-wise) than what you would have otherwise consumed in a given meal. The problem is, most people think "If I sit here on the couch and munch on chips instead of just eating a sandwich and putting a reasonable portion of chips on a plate, I eat less!" Munching and grazing are different concepts.

Here's the exception: If you can portion-control your grazing meals, then it is indeed effective, but not really for the reasons you think. It doesn't keep your metabolism going, it just means that you're taking in less calories in a day. Most nutritionists (and Jek can expand on this) will tell you that there's really no such thing as metabolism. You put food in, and your body digests it and uses it at the same rate it always does. Makes sense to me, as a fast metabolism would, in the survival world, be a bad thing and so it wouldn't be something humans would have evolved.

TL;DR version: If you control the amount of calories you take in in a day, it doesn't matter if you consume them in 3 meals or in 50 small meals. The key is to stay under the amount of calories you use in a day and to make those calories count as far as the amount of nutrients that go with them. You can eat 2000 calories of doughnuts in a day and have the same weight loss impact as 2000 calories of grains and fruit, but you'll feel worse.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:59 am

James wrote:BORING, RAMBLING, UNEASY OPENNESS INCOMING; FEEL FREE TO IGNORE:

So, as I've alluded to somewhere-or-other, found I coming back from the elation of reuniting with university friends and their lovely wedding to be a bit of a disheartening experience. I don't want to be too glum about it, but I have to admit a certain degree of dissatisfaction with my life as it stands, particularly the social aspect. My down-South friends are great, but they are few, and generally cover a very specific subset of social interaction, so spending time with my up-North friends reminded me of how much I appreciate a bit of variety. Also, and perhaps I run the risk of being accused of BIG SISSY GIRLINESS, but the wedding itself, as a culmination of a nine-year relationship, acted as a reminder of the lack of romance in my life, and gave me an unsettling sense of having gravely wasted my time. One thing that in retrospect I really appreciated about the wedding was a friend commenting on how my idiosyncrasies had been missed. I found this really touching, in part because I often find myself with a poor sense of who I am, and what I have to offer.

Anyway, in light of Ian's disappointment and the advice offered to him, I decided that wallowing can only make things worse, and that the only way to feel better is to start changing things I either don't like about my life, or fear may be counter-productive, albeit probably in very small steps. One thing that probably accentuated my malaise was the fact that on my return, my flatmate and family were away, and the rest of my local friends were busy. The prospect of going from my first party experiences for years to total solitude was pretty bleak. However, another of my great failings is disproportionate anxiety about the prospect of embarrassing myself or otherwise being judged (as ridiculous as that may sound). As such, I decided to try to turn my time alone into an advantage, and do something I'm normally very anxious about: cooking some proper goddamned food. It's utterly stupid, I know, but more than laziness (which is undoubtedly also a factor), the main reason I don't feed myself properly is that I'm very nervous about messing up and making a fool of myself. Of course, as EvilJekyll has pointed out, you'll never get better at anything without practice. Which I know, but I still allow myself to be disheartened way too easily. Anyway, I went to the shop on the way back from work today, and forced myself to pick up some ingredients and not just take the easy option. Altogether too much time and mess later, and I have a casserole in the oven. Nothing spectacular, I know, but at least it's not an oven pizza or whatever. Hopefully it comes out OK.

Christ, I've completely lost track of where I was going with this. I've also been trying to pay more attention to making and keeping the flat clean, as I think living in squalor probably isn't very good for the psyche; you know, self-respect and all that. I'm hoping that if I can be a bit more responsible and diligent, I can feel better about myself, and perhaps shake off some of the anxiety I feel over all the ridiculous trivial stuff like buying clothes and applying for jobs and talking to people I don't know and so on. Or maybe not. Maybe that's something completely different. I don't bloody know. A part of me says that all prior evidence indicates I won't keep this up, but I shouldn't be defeatist. That could become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I should point out that I don't think cooking a bit and not being a total slob is a recipe for bliss, but hopefully it should provide an environment more hospitable to happiness, and give me fewer things to feel embarrassed about.

Aaaaanyway. I don't know. I'm not really sure what to do about the social life thing. My friend group is pretty insular, and I'm not really sure of how to go about finding other people that I want to spend time with. I guess I could join a club or something, but I'm not really sure what, and it kind of baffles me that anyone finds the time for that sort of thing. I keep feeling I've kind of buggered myself up, and left this all way too late.

This isn't going anywhere. It's just an unloading of things that have been on my mind. I hope it hasn't been too glum. I'm trying to be positive, as I understand that's the best way to end up in a more positive situation. I feel like I'm revealing myself to be quite ridiculous and pathetic, but I can't keep letting that hold me back, and I've spent far too long typing this nonsense not to post it. Also, it doesn't score well on the positivity front.

I should also point out that this is an awful lot of bold talk after not much actual activity. Consider it a plan-of-action, I guess.

TL;DR: WAS A BIT MISERABLE, TRYING TO BE A BIT MORE RESPONSIBLE AND HAVE MORE SELF-RESPECT, PERHAPS THAT WILL HELP, WHO THE fork KNOWS?

Whaaaaat? I think you should visit a hooker.

Yes, I went through a very similar patch post uni and having worked for a while and becoming mired in the mundaneness of it all. I had friends disperse to all parts of the world, kept vampiric hours and thoroughly abused my body on the weekends. I was unhealthy and unhappy and felt very alone.. then I fell for a female who was in a relationship and that took care of my mental state, so it was all a shambles and a very dark period of my life.
I got sick of being in that situation, though. It took a lot longer than it should have taken any reasonable human being, but I just got tired of the self-imposed misery.
I made a few more bad decisions... but I ended up moving to the other side of the country and having to really become entirely self-sufficient and my own person.. which was liberating.
I wasn't that guy that I was with my friends all the time. Nor was I the same guy working in the same decidedly unpleasant job. Nor was I the guy pining after the woman I couldn't have because how rickin'-frackin' annoying does that get after a while?
I made some more bad decisions, but along the way I kind of managed to build up experience and refine my tastes and opinions and, you know, become more of a fully-fledged person.

In hindsight, this is basically what everyone does. They grow up and sort out their poopcakes.
At the time, I felt like I was miles behind because there is a huge amount of pressure on individuals of certain classes and backgrounds to become what they are meant to be in a very short amount of time.. and make the decisions that lead to this at an age when you are a raging ball of neuroses and hormones. I had friends making money and starting families while I was still living in ridiculous circumstances, damaging myself and just playing video games and watching tv in the dark, but I no longer really care what the others have done, because it tends to even out in the end.
I still get depressed when I think about the straight line of work and family life that opens up before me, but things are by no means as bleak as I imagined them to be those years ago and happiness finds me in the most bizarre places.

Mistakes and bad decisions haunt me, too. I also think of dumb things I did when I was a kid/teenager/adult/yesterday. It's like some kind of neurotic masochism. Still, at least I have some stories to tell.

So, in closing, I would say that you don't have to make wholesale changes to your life to be happy. If you want to move away, move away. If you want to find another job (oh fellow arts student and jack of most trades), keep and eye on vacancies in sectors that you have an interest in and passion for. If you want to party the pain away, go have some fun. If you want to come out of the closet, throw the doors open, sailor! If you want to meet new people and try new things, don't dismiss every experience out of hand and give yourself something to look froward to. For instance, I spend a fair bit of time gardening now. Gardening. I was never interested, but here I am pottering around with a pair of secateurs and seaweed emulsion. I even show interest in sports every now and then, because it is actually a reasonable tool for meeting people, conversation, getting some structured exercise and teaching my sons all sorts of things.
Yes, physical activity is a lot more important than I ever hoped to admit. When I'm active, I feel a lot better about myself and other people, I fit into my clothes and I don't seem to get stupid little sniffly illnesses. Also, I'm getting older and it's amazing that all my bits still work properly, so I should probably try to keep it that way.
Do you have 24 hour gyms there? The ones here give you a key card so you can go in whenever you like. Even 3:00am when there is no one around and you just want to mess around without being judged. I generally go at about 9pm because that is my "free" time. My gym is something like AUD$20 a week and when you join, like most gyms, they give you an overview of the equipment, rules and a free session with a trainer, which I didn't end up using. Don't worry about feeling self-conscious in a gym because chances are, everyone else is either just as self-conscious or under intense physical duress.
And another thing: These whey protein and metabolizer powders and drinks are absolutely everywhere at the moment. I am surrounded by people at work, males and females, who use this stuff religiously. I don't use it, but I know guys who have twenty different tubs and jars of all sorts of bizarre stuff that they take as part of their regime and most of these things are to mitigate the negative effects of the previous concoction.

Anyway, I guess my biggest point in this probably useless ramble, is don't be so hard on yourself. No doubt you are because you're exceptionally bright and conscientious about things and you're internalizing everything that's lead to this situation.. when mostly, it's just dumb luck that things work out the way they do. I seem to be telling a lot of people to chill out lately, but I'm surrounded by people driving themselves into unhappiness through self-imposed thoughts of inadequacy, vanity and just unnecessary stuff. So many people lose sight of who they are by fixating on what other people perceive them to be.
No you haven't left this all too late. You are young and what the fork does age matter anyhow? I mean, look at Johnny Depp. The man is 90 years old and he still looks like a fresh faced 20 something and not a hairy mole-covered geriatric with erectile dysfunction. Probably not relevant, but I marvel at the guy.

ntw3001 wrote:My social life (and career) was disappointing so I decided to temporarily ditch the whole stupid scene and go to Canada. It might sound slightly depressing that the reason I decided to do that was because I had no reason to be in any particular place.

Oh I see. Australia not good enough for you. Fine.. but that sounds like the perfect reason to not be in that particular place anymore. And who says you can't just go and then return with a bit more perspective?
Something that does annoy me about you Brits is the fact that you are basically an hour or two away from a whole bunch of completely different countries with awesome histories and cultures. God knows if I wasn't on the other side of the world, I would have cut a drunken swath through Europe in my early twenties, but that's just me and my romanticized notions of friendly rural communities who would let me stay in barns and drink their grappa while rolling in the hay with their virginal daughters after paying me to pick grapes in idyllic surrounds.

EvilJekyll wrote:If more spamusers lived closer together we would probably be hanging out together. Maybe that's a little utopian, but I wouldn't mind.

A distinct possibility, but who's to say our close proximity wouldn't tear apart what we have now? TEAR IT APART.

Jvcc, I advise caution with dating sites.. I have some friends who have had bad experiences. I know the need for companionship and physical/emotional fulfillment is ridiculously strong, but don't let it drive you into potentially awkward and dangerous situations, will you? You're smart and sassy, but you can't control everything all the time. Sorry if I sound like a dad, but I am one so I kind of have the right.

Null, where are you?

Good night.
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Dusk wrote:Jvcc, I advise caution with dating sites.. I have some friends who have had bad experiences. I know the need for companionship and physical/emotional fulfillment is ridiculously strong, but don't let it drive you into potentially awkward and dangerous situations, will you? You're smart and sassy, but you can't control everything all the time. Sorry if I sound like a dad, but I am one so I kind of have the right.

Haha, awww. That was uncharacteristically sweet of you. I'm only using it until I start school, where I'll work on joining clubs and meeting people in classes. Not necessarily for romantic relationships, mind, but also for friendship.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:17 pm

jvcc wrote:Wait, your degree is in nutrition? Mind if I ask you a question? Is "grazing" a good idea? It is, as I understand it, eating small meals throughout the day, but I don't know how frequently or how many calories are supposed to be in each meal/snack.

Disclaimer: I do not have a degree in nutrition.
I do, however, have blood sugar issues, so I do need to graze throughout the day. This ends up translating into smaller actual meals. It's not so much whether you graze, but what you graze on. If you're having a handful of nuts here, a few fruits and vegetables there, that's much better than a cookie here or a soda there, or waiting to get home or to a restaurant where you're to the point of I'M STARVING SO BAD I'M GOING TO EAT THIS ENTIRE BAG OF CHIPS (nutritionally, pretty empty).

It helps if you don't even buy cookies, candy, soda at the store. If it's not in your house, you won't just mindlessly reach for it. If you go out, and it's a treat, then it feels even more like a treat. Put a bowl of fruit, little baskets of nuts, etc. out on your counter, so they're visible, instead of cramming your pantry full of refined carbs.

If you end up eating out, eat about half of whatever a restaurant serves you. If you make a meal, put smaller portions on your plate. Wait at least an hour, then see if you're really still hungry. I don't keep track of the calories that I consume, but I do keep track of the things I consume. If I feel like I haven't had enough protein, or vegetables throughout the day, that's what I'll go for. It took a bit of getting used to, but after a while it became second nature (what a strange expression).

EDIT: I just realized that I should state the advice to only eat half of what a restaurant serves you was based on American portions. If you live somewhere else, they likely serve you a much more reasonable portion.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:56 am

Dusk wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:My social life (and career) was disappointing so I decided to temporarily ditch the whole stupid scene and go to Canada. It might sound slightly depressing that the reason I decided to do that was because I had no reason to be in any particular place.

Oh I see. Australia not good enough for you. Fine.. but that sounds like the perfect reason to not be in that particular place anymore. And who says you can't just go and then return with a bit more perspective?
Something that does annoy me about you Brits is the fact that you are basically an hour or two away from a whole bunch of completely different countries with awesome histories and cultures. God knows if I wasn't on the other side of the world, I would have cut a drunken swath through Europe in my early twenties, but that's just me and my romanticized notions of friendly rural communities who would let me stay in barns and drink their grappa while rolling in the hay with their virginal daughters after paying me to pick grapes in idyllic surrounds.

I'll respond to this part because it is directed at me and, therefore, the most important thing.

I couldn't afford to go to Australia! It turns out the cost wouldn't actually have been far different, but I thought it was significant when I booked it.

It turns out someone I knew at school lives in Perth now. We didn't hang out but she was alright. I'm not sure what possessed her to add me on Facebook, but eh, some people seem to add everyone from school whose name they remember.

I have a small whine about chicks also! I'm not really inclined to publish the details. It ain't my style to mope and pine (and tbh I have no reason to because aside from the 'going far away for an indeterminate period' thing I'd rather fancy my chances now that certain things seem to have been tidied up), but it's tough to drop the feelings entirely, especially when there's no suitable vessel for a feelings-transfer available. Small social circle, you know? I hope they have chicks in Canada!

We do go to other countries! Okay, a lot of people go to Calais and buy cheap wine. But yeah, travelling around Europe would be pretty good (my cousin went hitchhiking and busking with a friend last Summer, which sounds like the best thing). My own problem, and I suspect it's one shared by a lot of British folks, is that it's all rather embarrassing to go to the Continent, where every single man, woman and child speaks over six thousand languages fluently, and possess a language faculty of one's own that stretches as far as 'Do you speak English' in French and German and fills in the rest with LOUD, SLOW ENGLISH. We really need to improve our language education here, it probably contributes heavily to troubles of overpopulation. While anyone from the EU is free to work anywhere within it, our abysmal language skills present something of a barrier to us working outside the UK and Ireland.

Hold on let me find my cousin's songs. They were pretty funny when we saw them in London.

Huh, it looks like she's deleted her Facebook profile and made a new one. To which I was not invited! We are a close-knit family.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:15 am

When I was your age, enty, if I could've afforded it I would've been all over France (as I took French in college (or is that "uni"?)) and once immersed in the language I'm sure I would've gotten by. But I graduated from UT with pretty much zippity-doo-dah for cash (and my parents not really much better) so off to work I went. Sigh.

Anyways, once you get to El Canada we'll have to see if we can get a Canadian get-together of some sort. Especially if it's still oven hot down here in this part of the world. Any excuse to get away to cooler parts. And also I'm still kinda kicking myself for having missed the New York thing.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:42 am

PonderThis wrote:But I graduated from UT with pretty much zippity-doo-dah for cash

I also did this. That's another reason I've spent the last three years or so doing basically nothing. I've earned pretty much exactly as much as I've spent and nothing about my situation has changed since I was sixteen. That's a downer.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:54 am

The grad school I'm going to has a study abroad program every summer in Oxford. If it's affordable and I get accepted, I will be all over it.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm

I want to hit the road and get to San Francisco next year, and 2 years after that, Spain - I'd like to maybe extend that to Italy and France, but language and all that. I hope I still have a job by then.

Since I'm not doing much with my life, other than climbing the steep steps of corporate success ( :roll: ), I've decided I should travel.

I should also pick up French or Italian. Italian should be fairly easy...
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:00 pm

jvcc wrote:The grad school I'm going to has a study abroad program every summer in Oxford. If it's affordable and I get accepted, I will be all over it.

For sure, if it falls in place then definitely DOOO EEET.

My sister went to a school that had an exchange program with a school in Italy so she spent an entire semester there and spent spring break wandering about the continent from Greece to Denmark. To this day I am intensely jealous.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

Christ. fork. poopcakes. fork.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:29 pm

kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Mmm, mustard seeds...

Also: Fan, you should come travel here! There's not nearly enough Spamusers who come through here. You could see the... um... well... you could see the horses. Okay, so there's not much to do here, but still. :P
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:57 pm

Looked up Fort Mitchell on Google maps and I see that it is pretty much in Cincinnati. We go up to Lexington, KY every other year or so but that's too far to go past it. Sorry.

Wait, you're basically part of Cincinnati and there's nothing around?
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:06 am

jvcc wrote:Wait, your degree is in nutrition? Mind if I ask you a question? Is "grazing" a good idea? It is, as I understand it, eating small meals throughout the day, but I don't know how frequently or how many calories are supposed to be in each meal/snack.

Depends on what and how much you're "grazing." Grazing itself is usually associated with mindless nom-ing, which is bad because you have no idea how much you've actually eaten until, "hey, it's all gone =( ."

Zombie Protestor wrote:If you add up all the food you graze on in an 8-hour period (the average of all time between meals that you normally aren't eating), it needs to be less (calorie-wise) than what you would have otherwise consumed in a given meal. The problem is, most people think "If I sit here on the couch and munch on chips instead of just eating a sandwich and putting a reasonable portion of chips on a plate, I eat less!" Munching and grazing are different concepts.

True. Also, try some baked lays instead of regular, they're rather good, and have a decent amount of potassium in them.

Zombie Protestor wrote:Here's the exception: If you can portion-control your grazing meals, then it is indeed effective, but not really for the reasons you think. It doesn't keep your metabolism going, it just means that you're taking in less calories in a day.

It's not that it doesn't keep the metabolism going, it just won't speed up metabolism like most people think. The best way to do this is to find something delicious that is also very filling as well as nutritious. Triscuits = Not very tasty, but filling. Nutritionally, high in carbs, lower in fat. At least it has some fibre. YMMV depending on what you eat. Keep in mind serving sizes posted on the labels as well. Fruits are usually good to snack on, as well as popcorn or yoghurt. Also, actually chewing your food as much as possible before swallowing helps you feel full as well as aiding digestion.

Zombie Protestor wrote:Most nutritionists (and Jek can expand on this) will tell you that there's really no such thing as metabolism.

That's a bit of an oversimplification, the truth is it's rather complicated (technically it's all the chemical reactions going on in your body). Your body is a vast network of trillions of cells, most of which aren't even yours, yet your consciousness has a large supremacy over what happens to them. Not eating for long periods of times actually prompts your body to hold onto as much as it can and slow down the internal processes such as manufacture of necessary proteins, conversion of body stores into glucose for use by brain/nerves, and even certain later stages of digestion (citric acid cycle, etc.) That's why it's important to eat breakfast, as well as why fasting will not aid in weight loss.

Zombie Protestor wrote:You put food in, and your body digests it and uses it at the same rate it always does. Makes sense to me, as a fast metabolism would, in the survival world, be a bad thing and so it wouldn't be something humans would have evolved.

Digestion can actually be slowed by certain factors, including alcohol intake. But for the most part it is the same rate. Sometimes though hormonal disorders of the thyroid can cause metabolism to be extremely slow or fast.

Zombie Protestor wrote:TL;DR version: If you control the amount of calories you take in in a day, it doesn't matter if you consume them in 3 meals or in 50 small meals.

True, and those "meals" would be better digested. Large quantities of food at a single usually won't allow as many micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to be absorbed as well, because there's too much to be digested properly. Almost all of calories will be stored though. Those are easy to extract, especially in fat, which needs no conversion to be absorbed.

Zombie Protestor wrote:The key is to stay under the amount of calories you use in a day and to make those calories count as far as the amount of nutrients that go with them.

Indeed. Typically a deficit of 500 calories/day lower than your usual intake, either by exercise or absence of calories will make you lose 1 lb/ week. 3500 calories = 1lb. If you need to gain/lose, there's your ideal increase/decrease goal in calories for the week. Any more than that is usually considered unsafe, unless you have a high BMI.

You also should be choosing foods packed with a high nutrient to calorie ratio (known as nutrient dense. This is opposed to calorie dense, where there's next to no nutrients per calorie.)

Zombie Protestor wrote:You can eat 2000 calories of doughnuts in a day and have the same weight loss impact as 2000 calories of grains and fruit, but you'll feel worse.
I understand that this is a hyperbole. I just don't want to think about that. You would lose muscle mass and bone mass in addition to many horrible side effects over time. 2000 calories is usually the US standard for the "average" adult male, which is actually usually higher than most people need depending on their activity level and age. There are many, many formula's for calculating calorie needs.

I could liken the body's need for food/nutrient intake to a painting that has been exposed to horrible circumstances and needs to be painted every day to retain its image, but will refrain from doing so in this post. If prompted by you guys I will though.

loofah wrote:Disclaimer: I do not have a degree in nutrition.
I do, however, have blood sugar issues, so I do need to graze throughout the day.

I guess you can blame that on genetics/bad luck given that you have a tall stature.

loofah wrote:It's not so much whether you graze, but what you graze on. If you're having a handful of nuts here, a few fruits and vegetables there, that's much better than a cookie here or a soda there, or waiting to get home or to a restaurant where you're to the point of I'M STARVING SO BAD I'M GOING TO EAT THIS ENTIRE BAG OF CHIPS (nutritionally, pretty empty).

Word.

loofah wrote:It helps if you don't even buy cookies, candy, soda at the store. If it's not in your house, you won't just mindlessly reach for it. If you go out, and it's a treat, then it feels even more like a treat. Put a bowl of fruit, little baskets of nuts, etc. out on your counter, so they're visible, instead of cramming your pantry full of refined carbs.

Definitely, although it's fine for you to have a treat once in a while, or have a weaning off period. Also, refined carbs = plain sugar. Plain sugar = no processing necessary by your body and therefore no calories expended using it and high absorption into blood, blah blah blah quick storage to fat. Any excess protein, carbs, or fat --> stored as fat.

loofah wrote:If you end up eating out, eat about half of whatever a restaurant serves you. If you make a meal, put smaller portions on your plate. Wait at least an hour, then see if you're really still hungry. I don't keep track of the calories that I consume, but I do keep track of the things I consume. If I feel like I haven't had enough protein, or vegetables throughout the day, that's what I'll go for. It took a bit of getting used to, but after a while it became second nature (what a strange expression).

EDIT: I just realized that I should state the advice to only eat half of what a restaurant serves you was based on American portions. If you live somewhere else, they likely serve you a much more reasonable portion.

Definitely good advice, though sometimes hard to abide by. Some restaurants do offer under 500 calorie meals and such. This can be misleading as there are actually some healthier options that are less calories, but not labeled for whatever reason. Don't be afraid to consult the nutritional information that's actually usually pretty easy to find on nearly all major restaurant websites. Don't be surprised by the sampler from Applebees (pdf under appetizers, also not that doesn't include dipping sauce) though. If you can't find the info there, livestrong has a rather good database.
Also remember that alcohol is converted to 7 calories of fat per gram of alcohol by volume.
My Site

Null

Postby Null » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 am

Dusk wrote:Null, where are you?

Not quite sure how to answer that, but thanks for asking.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:44 am

jvcc wrote:The grad school I'm going to has a study abroad program every summer in Oxford. If it's affordable and I get accepted, I will be all over it.

Oxford is a very nice city. If I'm back in the UK I'll probably hassle you at some point though. Bear that in mind.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:05 am

Null wrote:
Dusk wrote:Null, where are you?

Not quite sure how to answer that ...

I usually respond, "Sitting in front of the computer." :D

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm a terrible, terribly bitter person. DO NOT WANT.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:11 pm

fanelian wrote:I'm a terrible, terribly bitter person. DO NOT WANT.

Mix with other flavours plz. :P
My Site

Return to “None of the Above”