Foods

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
jvcc
Impresses the Females

Re: Foods

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:49 pm

ntw3001 wrote:
jvcc wrote:Your parents sound delightfully English.

I know we've discussed it before, but I forgot: do you call the middle of the day meal lunch or dinner? Everywhere in the country here we call it lunch.

Lunch. Only northeners call it dinner!

I'm certain that Rob Brydon of the Welsh persuasion referred to the meals he had at school as "dinners". Unless Wales has night school for children, your statement is factually inaccurate.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:01 pm

jvcc wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:
jvcc wrote:Your parents sound delightfully English.

I know we've discussed it before, but I forgot: do you call the middle of the day meal lunch or dinner? Everywhere in the country here we call it lunch.

Lunch. Only northeners call it dinner!

I'm certain that Rob Brydon of the Welsh persuasion referred to the meals he had at school as "dinners". Unless Wales has night school for children, your statement is factually inaccurate.

School dinners are called school dinners, and are eaten for lunch, at lunchtime, just before all the childrens go outside for their lunch break.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:52 pm

ntw3001 wrote:dinners [...] are eaten for lunch

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:54 am

Lunch is lunch.
Tea is for Britons.
Dinner (or supper as some [other] folks call it) is normally the evening meal here in the states. You see, tea was a problem in our past and we no longer honor the tradition. Or some poopcakes.

Bink,
Sorry, Lupper is just silly. :P
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:45 am

jvcc wrote:
ntw3001 wrote:Lunch. Only northeners call it dinner!

Wales is pretty far north. Also, like Enty said, school dinners is a separate thing.
Last edited by James on Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:54 am

I always thought of it as being westward, what with it being west of England and all. But it's your country and your language, so you can call west north if you want to and call [some] lunches dinners.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 am

Bah, Wales is in the West. Only the Northern part of it is far North.

There is nothing wrong with school dinner being called school dinners despite not being dinners! They were probably named in the North.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:09 am

Don't count Wales towards your patterns of who uses which words where. Those guys only barely speak English at all! ;)

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:28 pm

Don't say bad things about the Welsh: one of them is Batman.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:17 pm

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 pm

James wrote: the ability or lack thereof to retain knowledge and learn from your linguistic mistakes

See, and I would have put lack thereof at the end of this. You just never know.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:35 pm

Speaking of food/cooking, does anyone else watch The Barefoot Contessa hosted by Ina Garten? I find her show to be a wellspring for unintended comic gold (sort of like a real-life Posh Nosh, for those who will get the reference). She's a woman living in the Hamptons whose husband went to an Ivy League school, yet her program claims to be about getting "Back to Basics" (occasionally that includes using saffron in a recipe). Instead of dining with her husband, Ina is usually eating or preparing meals for one of her many gay friends. She also talks like she works for a sex chatline, and the faces she makes after she tastes her own food are hilarious.

Nyperold
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Nyperold » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:19 am

I'll leave the Barefoot Contessa to people who know it well enough to comment, and mentions one of the snacks I indulge in from time to time. It's called Sweet Heat Caramel Clusters, and it's by a company called World Table™. It's butter toffee. Don't overlook the "Heat" part of the name, however; chili pepper powder is an ingredient. After a few pieces, your mouth feels like it's on low heat. As a minor extra, the cylindrical containers can be pretty useful. If this sounds like it might appeal to you, well, it might be in the popcorn section of the snack aisle. If not, though, that's quite understandable.

(I'm not trying to advertise, but hey, if it makes you aware of something you might like, great.)

Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Zombie Protestor » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 pm

It's not really a food, per se, but Extra Gum makes an apple pie flavor that is phenomenal.

Last edited by Zombie Protestor on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Ever feel like you'd like to munch on some Schweddy Balls? Well, now you can.

Although to be honest I think I still prefer Ameri-Cone Dream.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:45 pm

PonderThis wrote:Ever feel like you'd like to munch on some Schweddy Balls? Well, now you can.

Although to be honest I think I still prefer Ameri-Cone Dream.

That is a delicious flavor, and I'm not biased.

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:00 pm

This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:21 pm

Faaaaaaantastic!

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Whoa.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:59 pm

I wonder if I can find it on the same food aisle as Diet Coke with Bacon?

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Speaking of DCwB, it has its own Facebook page and has popped up on Icanhascheezburger's offshoot site My Food Looks Funny.

We are right now making chicken pot pie which is ridiculously easy to make. You need:

1 lb chicken breasts (for the ones we use, that's about 2 of them), cut into small pieces.
1 medium onion, sliced into medium strips (see my instructions here on how to do this)
2 cans mixed vegetables, drained
1 family-size can cream of chicken soup
1 box pie rounds (usually 2 in a box)

Preheat 400. Saute the onions in butter (I should have put butter in the ingredients but it's too late now!) and stir often until softened. Add chicken and stir thoroughly to combine, stirring occasionally until no pink shows on the outside of any of the pieces. Add mixed vegetables and cream of chicken soup and heat on low, stirring often. While this heats, spread out one of the pie rounds in the bottom of a pie plate, making sure it comes all the way up the sides. Add the filling into the crust and add the top round and press the two together around the edges, trimming away any excess and puncturing the top shell when done. Bake until the top is lightly browned. If the pot pie comes out too doughy on the bottom, you can also pre-bake the bottom and skip pressing the bottom and top together.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:19 am

I started writing up a bunch of recipes for my friends at some point, so I guess I have a food blog, of sorts.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:15 pm

This website has some pretty sweet recipes for jalepenos. Especially if you have jalepeno plants and can't think of more things to make before the peppers go bad.

Yesterday, we made this salsa. We used 10 jalepenos and 2 cayennes. It came out pretty well. I think it could be a little spicier, or more a tad flavourful (EDIT: We apparently forgot the garlic (whyyy? howww? whyyyyyy?), so we'll add some to the rest and maybe it'll be a bit better.), but it is still a good salsa for chips and such.

Unfortunately I didn't wear gloves, when seeding and dicing, leading to this post. I didn't/don't feel my fingers burning, and washed my hands after each batch of seeding/dicing 3-4 peppers at a time. It was not fun trying to put contacts in (I'm wearing glasses today, since it felt like what I imagine pepper spray would feel like.)
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

Zombie Protestor

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Ah, I was wondering about that post. I thought you were referencing capsaicin therapy, which is used to dull or kill pain when applied directly to nerves.

Yeah, capsaicin is not water-soluble, even with soap, so washing your hands did diddly-squat except smear it around. If you're going to be cooking with peppers on a regular basis, go to a drugstore and pick you up a pack of latex or plastic gloves. If you're lucky enough to have a restaurant supply store near you, you can get the cheapo plastic gloves. If nothing else, zip-top bags on your hands will hinder you a bit with chopping but they'd work too.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:Yeah, capsaicin is not water-soluble, even with soap,

I know water did nothing. I thought soap was supposed to help mildly.

Zombie Protestor wrote:If you're going to be cooking with peppers on a regular basis

We usually only really do the hot ones around this time of year, as they are ripe around now.

Zombie Protestor wrote:go to a drugstore and pick you up a pack of latex or plastic gloves.

Things we forgot to get at the store. #1 Gloves. #2 Nothing else.

Didn't want to go back to the store, didn't feel burning on fingers like that time I halved and seeded 30+ red chilis and cherry bombs, things must be okay right? No.
By the way, that time with the chilis, my fingers burned for a week straight, and made some awesome hot sauce.
My Site

Return to “None of the Above”