Foods

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Foods

Postby IanC » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:09 pm

I thought it was common knowledge actually.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Zombie Protestor » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:06 pm

IanC wrote:I thought it was common knowledge actually.

Oh, well, yeah. Obviously. I was just, uh...testing to see if you guys knew.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:20 pm

You guys are silly.
Anyway, yea, yea, bad grammar, I apologize, I had a fever, blah, blah, blah.
Fanfan wrote:Oh, I miss Catassssss

At least, as far as you can presume, he's still alive enough to eat things. :twisted:
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Skimba wrote:Anyway, yea, yea, bad grammar, I apologize, I had a fever, blah, blah, blah.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:
IanC wrote:I thought it was common knowledge actually.

Oh, well, yeah. Obviously. I was just, uh...testing to see if you guys knew.

I was lying to be nice. I definitely didn't somehow manage to miss something completely.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

All of ewe arr missing the point. This is aFud thread, not a Grammar Thread. :P :)
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:16 am

YEARS it's been.
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:17 am

Actually, I have had a grammatical question stirring in the back of my mind for a while that I wouldn't mind getting answered: only adverbs can modify verbs, and not adjectives, correct? I constantly hear people say things like, "He ran quick", and shouldn't it be, "He ran quickly." Am I completely wrong here? Are there any exceptions to this rule that I perceive to be true?

EDIT: Also, I was vaguely aware of Skimba and Catass knowing each other, due to her subtle hints, but I've never been clear on the exact nature of their relationship.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 am

I believe that being applied to a verb makes it an adverb. You could say 'he ran fast', and 'fast' would be an adverb rather than an adjective.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:44 am

"Fast" is one of those vexing adverbs that defies easy identification by not ending in "-ly", but "quick" is not an adverb and "quickly" is.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:18 am

Well, I vaguely remember that adverbs would respond to questions such as "How", "when", or in what conditions something was done. "He ran " "How did he run?" "Fast"= "He ran fast"; It seems to have some logic. Or "He yelled" "How did he yell?" "Loudly" = He yelled loudly.

In Spanish you add a suffix to an adjective to make it an adverb -I think it doesn't work as a rule and does not apply to all adjectives (not sure of the existance of rules, but I'm talking out of what is used commonly in books and among well-educated people). So, In Spanish you add "mente" at the end of a word like "Ella bailo bellamente" ("She danced beautifuly") SO I guess "-mente" it's the equivalent to the "-ly" you add to english adjectives.

I don't know if I addressed the question at all - but my short answer would be that adjectives can definitely be used as adverbs.

Someone today praised my grammar and spelling while in the company's instant messaging system. He asked me how had I learned, wether I had a very strict teacher or something... and I couldn't respond, because I thought It would seem a bit arrogant to admit that I think it is because I read a lot. That's for Spanish (Though the last 10 books I've read, if not more , are in english), I just kind of translate concepts into english so I don't know why I'm writing this, really. Why did you keep reading?

OK bye.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:47 am

Adjectives readily become adverbs, but can they be used in place of them? If you say, "He danced," and I ask, "How did he dance?" it would be odd for you to respond, "Bad" instead of "Badly". It would be even more odd to say, "He danced bad."

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:28 am

Zombie Protestor wrote:
Skimba wrote:I cooked them yesterday for dinner for catass and me.

why change it to "dinner" when "linner" is quite obviously lunch + dinner? sort of like brunch but in the early evening
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm

jvcc wrote:"Fast" is one of those vexing adverbs that defies easy identification by not ending in "-ly", but "quick" is not an adverb and "quickly" is.

Well yes, I used it as the example because it's identical in both forms, but a verb is definitely distinct from an adverb. It's not as clear with something like 'quick', although that surely ain't be no adverb and you don't not wanna be not usin' it in such a ghastly manner unless you's being colloquial *spit*. For an example of how much those two parts of speech aren't interchangeable, see the next few words I plan to say in this post (and I type this section after typing out those words, making that 'plan to' segment a lie for which I will never be punished): "'It's because I read so many books, you slobbering oaf', Fanelian snorted arrogant."

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:12 pm

sum yun gai wrote:
Zombie Protestor wrote:
Skimba wrote:I cooked them yesterday for dinner for catass and me.

why change it to "dinner" when "linner" is quite obviously lunch + dinner? sort of like brunch but in the early evening

You are correct SYG. Linner, it was.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm

fanelian wrote:Someone today praised my grammar and spelling while in the company's instant messaging system. He asked me how had I learned, wether I had a very strict teacher or something... and I couldn't respond, because I thought It would seem a bit arrogant to admit that I think it is because I read a lot.

I started writing a big post about how I think you don't even need to read that much to improve your language skills, but I was writing it on my phone, so it was laborious, and then I got sidetracked trying to look up an adjectival form of "value-judgement" (I'm sure there's a word that would have filled the role very neatly, but I can't for the life of me think what it is), and it completely lost steam. So that's the summary. I didn't read a great deal other than Discworld and Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy in my adolescence, but I still think that was enough to give me an intuitive feel for how grammar works and so on. There are other factors, of course, like natural predisposition towards or against attentiveness to such things, and the ability or lack thereof to retain knowledge and learn from your linguistic mistakes, but I think a lot of people don't do any recreational reading at all, and would benefit an awful lot if they did, even if it wasn't that much.
SIGNATURE: GONE

Dusk
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby Dusk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:05 am

fanelian wrote:In Spanish you add "mente" at the end of a word like "Ella bailo bellamente" ("She danced beautifuly") SO I guess "-mente" it's the equivalent to the "-ly" you add to english adjectives.

Hehe I'm going to add "mente" to all of my wordamentes.
Anyway. Food.
I say linner all the time but mostly in my own head and mostly due to Jiminy Glick.

chrismachine wrote:YEARS it's been.

LOL
EvilJekyll wrote:To summarise, people will always people.

Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Binkatron5000 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:40 am

For me it's lupper. None of this confusing "dinner" stuff... is that lunch? Supper? WHO KNOWS!

Lupper, bitches.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 am

Not that I use the word at all, but "linner" could hardly mean the midday meal crossed with the midday meal.

Still, "lupper" is a better-sounding word.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Binkatron5000 wrote:For me it's lupper. None of this confusing "dinner" stuff... is that lunch? Supper? WHO KNOWS!

Lupper, bitches.

We don't "sup", we "dine".
(best said with a snooty accent)
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm

Binkatron5000 wrote:For me it's lupper. None of this confusing "dinner" stuff... is that lunch? Supper? WHO KNOWS!

Lupper, bitches.

My parents call dinner 'tea', which is wrong because it's unclear. When they ask if I want tea, do they mean 'do you want a cup of tea' or 'will you be in for tea tonight'? Nobody can know. So instead it is 'do you want tea? ... cup of?', or I just have to ask them to clarify exactly what they mean by the word.

Solution: Tea is called tea. Tea is called dinner. Lunch is lunch.

Except for northeners! Certain folks at uni called lunch dinner and dinner tea, which landed them in all sorts of hot, confusing water as discussed.

I've talked about all of this here before.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:11 am

Your parents sound delightfully English.

I know we've discussed it before, but I forgot: do you call the middle of the day meal lunch or dinner? Everywhere in the country here we call it lunch.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:57 am

ntw3001 wrote:Except for northeners! Certain folks at uni called lunch dinner and dinner tea, which landed them in all sorts of hot, confusing, brown water as discussed.

Fixed that for you.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:36 am

jvcc wrote:Your parents sound delightfully English.

I know we've discussed it before, but I forgot: do you call the middle of the day meal lunch or dinner? Everywhere in the country here we call it lunch.

Lunch. Only northeners call it dinner!

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Oh dear! My goodness! Quite.

Return to “None of the Above”