THE HAPPY THREAD

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
ntw3001
Group Captain

Re: THE HAPPY THREAD

Postby ntw3001 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:22 pm

Eh, the working conditions seem whatever (They have clauses allowing them to fire me without notice for a selection of flimsy excuses, but I gather that's par for the course when you apply at a hagwon (apparently that they call independent language schools over there). Hagwons have a reputation for being pretty hit-and-miss. but this one was part of a chain with a fairly solid rep for nice things like paying on time, paying at all, and generally only screwing their teachers over in ways that are actually legally defensible (by the way, if anyone you know does go out there, here's a link detailing what to watch out for.

In this case it's none of that, but they do demand that I attend their training course before the contract comes into effect. So I won't actually have a concrete offer at the time of travel. They also didn't include stuff that had been mentioned regarding health insurance, but they said they were dealing with a mix of part-time and full-time contracts so I guess that was a mistake. That's one of the things they're apparently now putting in. So I mean... I could do the job; it looks like tough work, but that's fine. But regardless of how easy the training is (apparently pass rates vary between branches), I have no interest in travelling across the world without a guaranteed offer. It's a shame because the lady who interviewed me sounded terribly nice, but I really don't see why someone would accept those terms. Apparently people do.

Oh, and also there's no mention of flights being paid. It's a pretty typical thing in Korea (and a lot of ESL jobs as far as I can see), but it's not here. So my flight over for my not-guaranteed job may turn out to be on my own dime. And if I get them to add a clause about reimbursing payments, that'll probably be written to be dependent on them actually offering the job, which still isn't a certainty. Worst-case scenario, they pass me over for some blonde girl and I'm lumbered with paying to fly myself to Korea for a week of unpaid work. I don't think that would happen (tbh my impression is that the place is pretty legit), but I want to be protected against it. It's seeming like I maybe ought to look at jobs closer to home to accrue a year or two's experience, then I can pick and choose a bit more. Spain seems nice (not too well-paid though), and UAE offers good money and benefits. I have some applications on the go, so we'll see how it goes.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:13 am

I have a buddy from university who's in his 4th or 5th year teaching in the UAE, I think on a permanent job. We're currently only in touch through FB, but if you're considering it I can ask him fairly easily if there's anything you'd like to know :)
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Well I'm sort of interested in what the lifestyle would be like. I guess if he's been there that long, he would probably recommend it?

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:32 pm

I have asked him if he has any advice, and will let you know if he gets back to me :)

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:34 pm

jvcc wrote:How's that lecturing gig goin'?

In my own happy news, I submitted a draft article to an academic journal and got asked to revise and resubmit. The managing editor wrote, "Typically, a 'revise and resubmit' does not guarantee publication, but the editors do believe that the piece has a great deal of promise."

So, I am super stoked.

Reasonably well! It's kind of scary how it all seems to be coming so quickly. I've got all sorts of different teaching things going on and they seem to be going reasonably well, to my eternal surprise. I've had students come up to me and tell me how they've done much better since I started tutoring them, which always gives me a lift for the day.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:25 am

MysticalDescent wrote:
jvcc wrote:How's that lecturing gig goin'?

Reasonably well! It's kind of scary how it all seems to be coming so quickly. I've got all sorts of different teaching things going on and they seem to be going reasonably well, to my eternal surprise. I've had students come up to me and tell me how they've done much better since I started tutoring them, which always gives me a lift for the day.

That's good news! In my limited experience I have also found teaching to be equal parts terrifying and rewarding.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue May 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Ehhh, I got an article accepted for publication in the Journal of Modern Literature.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Wed May 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Wooooo! Yeah! Congrats, jvcc.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed May 13, 2015 5:40 pm

That's wonderful.

EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed May 13, 2015 10:36 pm

Huzzrah!
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:42 am

Hooray

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sat May 16, 2015 10:57 am

well done!
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon May 18, 2015 1:09 am

Thank you. :) It won't be published until 2017, probably, but I can still list it as "forthcoming" on my CV.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:37 pm

The Supreme Court's ruling happened to coincide with an important first for me yesterday.

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Highest five. Wish I could say I also had a personal milestone yesterday, but the extent of my bravery was to walk into an unfamiliar bar on my own and order some drinks. Almost as if I were a fully functioning adult. HA! Joke's on them.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 am

EsBe wrote:Highest five.

Thanx, bro.

EsBe wrote:Wish I could say I also had a personal milestone yesterday, but the extent of my bravery was to walk into an unfamiliar bar on my own and order some drinks. Almost as if I were a fully functioning adult. HA! Joke's on them.

I'll give a high five for that. Going to a bar alone is terrifying.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:01 am

jvcc wrote:The Supreme Court's ruling happened to coincide with an important first for me yesterday.

Good for youse!
Also good for going to strange bar!
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

EsBe
Apparently Still Unemployed

Postby EsBe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:19 am

I just went on a date (with a person (who was totally real)). This is new and exciting and terrifying--go me.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:54 pm

EsBe wrote:I just went on a date (with a person (who was totally real)). This is new and exciting and terrifying--go me.

YES! Go you!
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:55 pm

So I'm in Japan being woken up by all the hostelfolk waking up around me. I'm in Fukuoka to meet with one of the regional managers from my future workplace, then I'll be heading to Chiba to meet with another. Whoops, I have an email offering me a job in Tokyo to start in November! The work situation and leaving Korea has dovetailed quite nicely, then. I should just have time for a month or so in the Phillipines. Shame about my vague ambition to ever get home though. I'm also somewhat concerned about A) Rushing into a new job unexpectedly, which did not work with the last one, and B) The cost of living in Tokyo. Concerns. Still, how fortuitous!

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 pm

You could try to room in that hotel that is just beds in tube chambers... unless that's an expensive novelty, maybe it's cheap? lol.

Anyway, great news!

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:10 am

ntw3001 wrote:So I'm in Japan being woken up by all the hostelfolk waking up around me. I'm in Fukuoka to meet with one of the regional managers from my future workplace, then I'll be heading to Chiba to meet with another. Whoops, I have an email offering me a job in Tokyo to start in November! The work situation and leaving Korea has dovetailed quite nicely, then. I should just have time for a month or so in the Phillipines. Shame about my vague ambition to ever get home though. I'm also somewhat concerned about A) Rushing into a new job unexpectedly, which did not work with the last one, and B) The cost of living in Tokyo. Concerns. Still, how fortuitous!

Sounds like you have a lot to decide and figure out, but, still, exciting news! Whatever job opportunity you pick, I'm sure you'll be able to make it work.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:17 pm

Due to completing my telepictionary drawing, I had my tablet out. I got it last boxing day, and was really hoping to do some more drawing. My job and family are both very busy, and I love spending my time and energy on them. But, since I was provided with some external pressure to do a drawing, I caught the bug after I was done and I went and found a line from my own spam folder, and one from the suggestions section here and made two new comics as well for the first time in ages. I was just talking to someone on here the other day about how much I like this place, and all of that wrapped up together makes me feel pretty good right now. :)

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:16 am

Aw, I didn't see your post until now. We should definitely do regular collaborative games like Telephone Pictionary. I mean, we're a nice bunch of creative and humorous individuals. I like just talking to people on here, but I think it's also a lot of fun to make new things together.

I really loved the three word at a time stories we used to do, but I don't know how much other people are into them.

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Was the three word at a time game one where we drew a picture that advanced the story with three words, or was that something out? I think there was something else along the lines of Spamusement: the game: the game?

Return to “None of the Above”