Official Book Thread

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Re: Official Book Thread

Postby IanC » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm

I read Lord of the Flies back when I was at school. One of the rare times we had to read i book that i liked.

Currently reading Spice and Wolf vol 1 by Isuna Hasekura. The first volume in the Japanese "light novel" series (although im obviously reading the recently released English translation). Its about a travelling merchant called Kraft Lawrence who while passing through a village encounters the local harvest god, a wisewolf called Holo, whose human form is a young looking woman with wolf ears and a big busy tail.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Null
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby Null » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm reading musical autobiographies--The Memoirs of Hector Berlioz (Nook) and I Am Ozzy (Kindle). Also, in a used book store I found a gorgeous edition of J.G. Ballard's The Crystal World, with a cover taken from a Max Ernst painting.

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 am

I re-read Ender's Game the other day. I know Orson Scott Card is an idiot these days, but daaaaaamn that book is good.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 am

Just finished A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. So many great ideas, all packed into one book. I'm on to the prequel, A Deepness in the Sky.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

Portals
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Portals » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm slogging my way through Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. if you do not know about it i should probably mention that it's 1000+ pages including footnotes.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:04 pm

I just finished The Bell Jar. Plath did a fantastic job of bringing the reader along on the journey of a mental breakdown by making the transition into madness subtle and believable.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:15 pm

loofah wrote:Just finished A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. So many great ideas, all packed into one book. I'm on to the prequel, A Deepness in the Sky.
A guy at work is reading that. My only experience even vaguely related to Vernor Vinge is this.

I'm still slowly making my way through Gödel, Escer, Bach. After that I have a bunch of other books queued up, but I don't think I'll decide on one until I actually get there. I hardly ever read. There are too many other things to distract me, like computers and phones and newspapers and windows.
SIGNATURE: GONE

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:58 am

Vernor Vinge. What a deeply unpleasant name.

Saltine

Postby Saltine » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:19 am

so deeply that there is a fire upon it
--Saltine

quetzalcoatlus
REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION

Postby quetzalcoatlus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:44 am

ntw3001 wrote:Vernor Vinge. What a deeply unpleasant name.

It sounds like the name of a villain, but not a really badass villain, more of a (and I apologize for linking you to tv tropes here) Smug Snake.

So I did finish reading I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. Some stories were better than others, but it was all pretty interesting.

Just started reading: The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It's something my sister got me out of nowhere (well, for my birthday, but still "out of nowhere" in the sense that I'd never heard of the book or author before). It is about an overweight Dominican sci-fi/fantasy nerd - I'm on a couple chapters into it but it's pretty clever and well written thus far.
PonderThis wrote:Back in olden times people found solace in Jesus. Nowadays it's Sonic The Hedgehog.

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:58 am

quetzalcoatlus wrote:Just started reading: The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. It's something my sister got me out of nowhere (well, for my birthday, but still "out of nowhere" in the sense that I'd never heard of the book or author before).

I prefer to imagine that she produced it from nowhere. Conjured it. I hereby declare that quetz's sister is a wizard. Wizardess. Witch. That's the one. Great at parties!

Saltine

Postby Saltine » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, "witch" is indubitably the female form of the exclusive male "wizard". Here's a helpful table of equal veracity:

M / F
Wizard / Witch
Guy / Doll
Lawyer / Prosecutrix
Drake / Femallard
Shaman / Witch Doctor
Professor / Schoolmarm
Dwarf / Faery
Dog / Cat
Milkman / Lactation Consultant
Ketchup / Catsup
--Saltine

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:28 pm

I especially like Prosecutrix.

But anyways, while I don't see witch/wizard as some kind of direct comparison, it is still a thing that 'wizard' makes her sound like a dude. Wizardess would have been okay, I guess. But that's not what she is, because she is a witch. Wizards can't conjur reading materials. It is for reasons of otherworldly aether.

AGH I am suddenly dizzy. What the hell? I'm just sitting in a chair.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Is it a spinny office chair?
SIGNATURE: GONE

ntw3001
Group Captain

Postby ntw3001 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 am

I asked it and it told me your mum is a spinny office chair. I don't really know what it means, I don't think its English is very good.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:03 pm

ANyone have a Kindle? My dad now has a debit card that can make transactions over £100, and i'm thinking of giving him the cash to buy me a Kindle 2 International Edition (which will come to nearly $300 with VAT and Customs fees). Just want some feedback on one from a user really :)

I already have a couple of Kindle ebooks courtesy of the iPhone app.

Oh yeah and im actually reading a book right now, Usurper of the Sun by Housuke Nojiri (obviously translated into English) which is a rather "hard" Sci-Fi story about a mysterious alien race that start building a ring around the sun, which has devastating consequences for Earth.
My Spamusements!

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:14 pm

dumb question: what is hard sci fi?
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Personally I think Kindles are evil, but that's me. I don't think I'll ever get over the feeling of an actual book in my hands.
However, my boss and friend's mom each have one and they love them.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:38 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:dumb question: what is hard sci fi?

Wikipedia says it best - "Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific or technical detail, or on scientific accuracy, or on both."

So lots of detail. And lots of very big and hard to read words.

Still a good book though, lol
My Spamusements!

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:34 am

i always figured hard sci-fi was what happened when soft sci-fi looked at a pic like pole vault girl and got excited about it :P
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 pm

i feel like i should exclusively date female pole vaulters now until i have sex with one just so i can brag about it here

traubster
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby traubster » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:48 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:i feel like i should exclusively date female pole vaulters now until i have sex with one just so i can brag about it here

Haha dude that's awesome 'cause I was a pole vaulter in high school and we practiced with the girls sometimes. I got one of the freshman girls to grip my pole in the equipment shack.
"Not every moment can be awesome."

lovely.rita25
Loves Herbal Vi@gr@

Postby lovely.rita25 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:52 am

I'm in the middle of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods." The last book I finished is "No Second Chance" by Harlan Coben.

And yes, I noticed that they're from different genres.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed May 12, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm currently reading Let the Great World Spin, and it is quite good. I just finished a collection of short stories about zombies called The Living Dead. I enjoyed a few of the zombie stories a lot, but most of them fell flat. A lot of authors seem to feel that they need to have zombies talk or represent some sort of heavy-handed political or social message. Those authors who got it right, however, recognized that it is the complete absence of life and feeling in zombies that makes them fascinating and drives the few humans that survive the, into the depths of madness and despair.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 pm

I've recently been reading a series of novels by Lee Child about a guy named Jack Reacher who is a super badass former Military Police. They are quite good. Suspenseful, action packed, and the author seems to have gone to some lengths to make these books as realistic as possible.

Return to “None of the Above”