Random Thoughts

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
User avatar
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: 34° 13' 41.72", -85° 9' 46.92"

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:17 am

So I've been thinking: Let's take a ball and drop it from, say, 1 unit up. The ground absorbs some of its energy, which means that its return trip up is only .75 units. Following that chain, the next trip up will be 3/4 the previous height, and so on. If the ball bounces up 3/4 of its previous trip, then that means that it never actually reaches a 0 state, or an "at-rest" state because it will keep approaching 0 but you will never have X * 0.75 = 0, where X is the height of its second-to-last bounce. So how is it that a ball ever stops bouncing, then? This isn't so much of a random thought as a random physics question. If I had to guess it would have something to do with how much contact the ball has with the ground during its later bounces.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 14912
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby James » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:44 am

The proportion of energy conservation might also not be equal between bounces. I think the nature of the inefficiency of the bounce is probably relevant: energy is lost as sound and a small amount of heat, and possibly other things like slight deformation of the ball. Or perhaps once the bounces are so small as to be less than the vibrations caused by the heat of the ball, they are subsumed and rendered irrelevant. OR SOMETHING. Another thing we need Saltine for.
SIGNATURE: GONE

User avatar
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: 34° 13' 41.72", -85° 9' 46.92"

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:12 am

But even if it were terribly inefficient and lost more and more energy with each bounce, that's still X * Y = 0, where neither X (height of second-to-last bounce) nor Y (height ratio between last bounce and this bounce) can be 0. If either were 0, you're saying it has to be at rest before it can come to rest.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

User avatar
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe
Posts: 5595
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:But even if it were terribly inefficient and lost more and more energy with each bounce, that's still X * Y = 0, where neither X (height of second-to-last bounce) nor Y (height ratio between last bounce and this bounce) can be 0. If either were 0, you're saying it has to be at rest before it can come to rest.

This is assuming that the ball actually comes into contact with the ground.

Now we know that there's a repellant force between electrons so that nothing ever actually touches anything else. It just interacts in a way such that we perceive that it is touching, but nothing ever does. So this means that it will never be 0, but something infinitely close to 0. You approach 0, but may have something like 1/999999999" that keeps getting divided to closer to 0 by the bouncing motion along with the loss of energy in other fashions.

The ball would only hypothetically keep bouncing if it were a closed system and no energy was lost to outside forces.

dang it man, I didn't even like my physics class in high school that much.
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

User avatar
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: 34° 13' 41.72", -85° 9' 46.92"

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44 pm

That's just semantics. I know that objects don't actually touch, but for practical purposes they do.
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

User avatar
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 am
Location: La-la land

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby sum yun gai » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:33 pm

you're assuming that the equations that are at play are always X*Y=Z when in fact what you are describing is more like (X*Y) - (A*B) = Z where X*Y is your proverbial height of bounce and A*B is the energy transferred into each contact with the ground. obviously it's a lot more complicated than that but in general a dissipating force is a negative value in the equation and eventually *will* reduce your equation to zero until we can discover perfect perpetual motion...
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.


traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

User avatar
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe
Posts: 5595
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby EvilJekyll » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:57 pm

I was just saying what made sense to me. It might not be right at all. Where is that Saltine guy who does things with the fancy stuff at the MITs.

Aren't we always in perpetual motion moving away from the source of the big bang? :wink:
gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

User avatar
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2696
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 am
Location: One great big festering neon distraction

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby loofah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:50 pm

sum yun gai wrote:you're assuming that the equations that are at play are always X*Y=Z when in fact what you are describing is more like (X*Y) - (A*B) = Z where X*Y is your proverbial height of bounce and A*B is the energy transferred into each contact with the ground. obviously it's a lot more complicated than that but in general a dissipating force is a negative value in the equation and eventually *will* reduce your equation to zero until we can discover perfect perpetual motion...

I've only had the basic college physics, so I ain't real smrt, but this is along the lines of what I was thinking. When your potential/kinetic energy forces are large, they outweigh the amount of heat/friction/sound/etc, but as the energy dissipates, those energy absorbing impacts become relatively larger?

EvilJekyll wrote:Aren't we always in perpetual motion moving away from the source of the big bang? :wink:

I think in order for it to be considered perpetual motion, you'd need to be performing work, but since there's nothing outside of the universe to hold back its expansion (that I've heard of, anyway), maybe that continued motion isn't considered work?

EvilJekyll wrote:Where is that Saltine guy who does things with the fancy stuff at the MITs.

I don't know! He needs to put down that baby and attend to our needs!
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

User avatar
giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 10962
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:11 am
Location: Vermont
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby giantsfan97 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Isn't that similar to the old riddle that goes something like:

I throw a ball to you. At some point, it is halfway there. Then at some point it's halfway closer than it was before... and so on and so forth so the ball never actually reaches you.
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

User avatar
EvilJekyll
Wikimaster Deluxe
Posts: 5595
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: NJ
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby EvilJekyll » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 pm

gif wrote:you can't stuff a coin down a stripper's g-string
Judas Maccabeus wrote:Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
My Site

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 pm

giantsfan97 wrote:Isn't that similar to the old riddle that goes something like:

I throw a ball to you. At some point, it is halfway there. Then at some point it's halfway closer than it was before... and so on and so forth so the ball never actually reaches you.

Under the parabola of a ball, a child turns into a man.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
badplantmommy
Makes LOLCATS
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: The OC, CA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby badplantmommy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:15 am

I don't know about the ball, but my head sure is spinning. I couldn't even make it through algebra, and science wasn't my best subject either (although I did ok in Horticulture). I barely understand the big bang theory, although I enjoy the tv show. :)
Caller I.D. takes all the fun out of prank phone calls.

User avatar
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: 34° 13' 41.72", -85° 9' 46.92"

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Zombie Protestor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:07 pm

So in states where same-sex marriage is illegal, what happens if one partner in a heterosexual marriage were to have gender reassignment?
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

User avatar
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 am
Location: Fort Mitchell, KY, USA
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Zombie Protestor wrote:So in states where same-sex marriage is illegal, what happens if one partner in a heterosexual marriage were to have gender reassignment?


I know someone who's gone through that precise thing, and the answer in that case is the marriage stays as it is. There's something in me that says that's likely because the same people who want to keep same sex marriage illegal are also likely to see a transgender person as their, for lack of a better term that I can think of,* old gender, no matter what...

*I hope there's a better one that'd be broadly recognisable... "birth-assigned sex" would be more correct but I don't think it's well-known.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby chrismachine » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I would go with original.
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
sum yun gai
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4506
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 3:51 am
Location: La-la land

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby sum yun gai » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:12 pm

that's because the title is for the chassis, not the modifications?

*goes back into hiding*
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.


traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

User avatar
IanC
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: Essex, England, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby IanC » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:35 pm

HDMI is a horrible, finicky as hell standard.
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Image

User avatar
Zombie Protestor
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance
Posts: 4345
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: 34° 13' 41.72", -85° 9' 46.92"

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Zombie Protestor » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:35 pm

It's funny, then, that the people who refuse to acknowledge a transgender person's new gender would have qualms about making out with someone whose original gender was the opposite from their own. "Uh, Tim, I saw you kissing that Aaron guy. What was with that?" "Well, they used to be Erin." "Oh, well, then, that's okay."
This post not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If numbness or tingling persists for more than an hour after reading, please consult a physician.

User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 14912
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby James » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:22 pm

IanC wrote:HDMI is a horrible, finicky as hell standard.

Really? The only HDMI-related problems I've ever had have been bad connectors on the devices themselves.

Zombie Protestor wrote:It's funny, then, that the people who refuse to acknowledge a transgender person's new gender would have qualms about making out with someone whose original gender was the opposite from their own. "Uh, Tim, I saw you kissing that Aaron guy. What was with that?" "Well, they used to be Erin." "Oh, well, then, that's okay."

I imagine they don't consider transgender people suitable partners for anyone, as in their eyes they have qualities of each gender, rendering any sort of relationship HOMOSEXUAL and WRONG. I mean, it's not so surprising. I don't have any moral objection to gender reassignment, but I would feel pretty weird about getting into a relationship with a transgender person of either direction.
SIGNATURE: GONE

User avatar
jvcc
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6274
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: USA

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby jvcc » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:36 pm

I've been attracted to female-to-male transgender people before, but not male-to-female. That is also a reflection of personal taste and not a moral objection. Oh, I think the term is "assigned gender", Judas.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

User avatar
loofah
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2696
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 am
Location: One great big festering neon distraction

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby loofah » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 am

Zombie Protestor wrote:It's funny, then, that the people who refuse to acknowledge a transgender person's new gender would have qualms about making out with someone whose original gender was the opposite from their own. "Uh, Tim, I saw you kissing that Aaron guy. What was with that?" "Well, they used to be Erin." "Oh, well, then, that's okay."
I don't think most people are really that consistent. The human brain has an amazing ability to hold completely conflicting beliefs simultaneously.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 14912
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby James » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:32 am

loofah wrote:I don't think most people are really that consistent. The human brain has an amazing ability to hold completely conflicting beliefs simultaneously.

While that's definitely true, I don't really think this is a case of that. Given that they're working with the premise that someone's assigned gender is their "true" gender, people who have had a sex change have nonetheless changed their appearance, thereby presenting the image of the other gender. By this reasoning, transgender people retain their core gender identity (which, of course, transgender people would argue was the other way all along), but take on external aspects of the other. So either you're making out with someone genuinely of your own gender, or you're making out with someone who gives the appearance of being your gender, which I guess they could compare to getting off to gay porn: you're not actually doing anything with anyone of your gender, but it's still homosexual behaviour.

It's a bit weird to be arguing this case. I'm not saying these people are right, but as far as I'm concerned the problem lies in their condemnation of homosexuality, not in some of error of logic.
SIGNATURE: GONE

User avatar
Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info
Posts: 2686
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 am
Location: Fort Mitchell, KY, USA
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:03 am

jvcc wrote:Oh, I think the term is "assigned gender", Judas.


Yes, that, thank you.

James wrote:It's a bit weird to be arguing this case. I'm not saying these people are right, but as far as I'm concerned the problem lies in their condemnation of homosexuality, not in some of error of logic.


Well, the condemnation part tends to run off errors in logic, or lack thereof (of logic, not errors, I mean), but I suppose that's beside your point.
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

User avatar
chrismachine
Impresses the Females
Posts: 6148
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby chrismachine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:08 am

Also, most people who don't like homosexuals or homosexuality feel that way because of one of two things: 1) it isn't "natural", or 2) it is against their religion. If normalcy is the problem then you don't need a reason any deeper than that dressing as the opposite sex isn't "normal" behaviour for adults. If it's because of religion, the odds are that religion's scripture has worded their stance "against" homosexuality in some poetic way referring to dress or behaviour anyway, so that's right out.
Image
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

User avatar
James
Is a Hero in Bed
Posts: 14912
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Surbiton, England

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby James » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:22 am

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Well, the condemnation part tends to run off errors in logic, or lack thereof (of logic, not errors, I mean), but I suppose that's beside your point.

Down this road lies the matter of whether any sort of morality can be arrived at through pure logic. Things get very messy and difficult there. I think ultimately it always depends on some sort of authority, be it scripture, emotion, empathy, some sort of biological imperative, or something else. But, like I said, tricky territory, and yes, my point doesn't really concern that.
SIGNATURE: GONE


Return to “None of the Above”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest