Random Thoughts

If you don't know where it belongs, it belongs here.
James
Is a Hero in Bed

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby James » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:48 pm

chrismachine wrote:Germany? Holland/Netherlands/Pays Bas (in French)?

Sverige!

I think, if anything, the norm is to localize country names. It's a bit weirder when town or city names are translated (München to Munich, Göteborg to Gothenburg), though, as things don't usually go to that level of detail. I imagine that when it does, it's due to the place being significant enough to the other country to be talked about a lot, and its name being incompatible enough with the language to be worth translating.

If you're talking about mere pronunciation, that may be more a combination of poor education and people speaking in the manner that comes naturally to them. Every language has a system of rules and patterns and prosody and so on that dictates more or less how a sentence in that language will sound. Words and phrases of foreign origin, unless they are still conspicuously on loan, will be assimilated into the form of the host language.

I find it quite interesting that people will often affect an accent when using foreign phrases, intending to give an air of intelligence and sophistication, but on the rare occasions I hear someone speaking a foreign language say an English word with English pronunciation it sounds amusing and kind of ridiculous. I wonder whether it's because I view the English language as being rather base and uncultured (which would be rather silly, but I do have a tendency to feel badly about any group that contains me).
SIGNATURE: GONE

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm interested to follow up on your last point, because in my Spanish class some people take on an accent and others don't. To me, the people speaking Spanish with the same rhythm and accent that they do for English sounds ridiculous, but I don't want to seem ridiculous or offend by feigning the accent of a person from a Spanish-speaking country.
ntw3001 wrote:you can't get raped if you always say yes

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Well it's a bit different when you're talking a foreign language. Then you're entering a different mode of communication, so I think it's appropriate to make some sort of effort at the accent, at least to the extent that you're not completely mutilating the vowels or reading entirely phonetically (according to your mother tongue). One ought to be careful not to sound like a caricature, but I think it's respectful to "meet them half-way", as it were.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 pm

It's probably difficult to not give great offense if you're terrible at accents. It doesn't help that for my first year of learning Spanish at this school I was learning Spain Spanish and now I'm being taught by a Puerto Rican woman. I think the accent I use must sound like some horrible amalgamation of Spanish from Europe and South America and my American English.

MysticalDescent
Pays Too Much For Car Insurance

Postby MysticalDescent » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 am

The importance of using foreign accents comes across when you're having to watch a stream of a sports game with foreign commentary and you occasionally pick up the odd English word, usually somebody's name, pronounced in the most bizarre fashion.

That's actually probably irrelevant, although it was interesting to see how different combinations of letters are pronounced in Spanish without having to actually have any knowledge of Spanish.

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:35 pm

I made my msn account months ago, to play and track the games that I play at lunch. As I was signing up they said my user name was taken (probably by me from a couple years ago) and I was about to just add some numbers at the end, like I usually do, I then noticed the suggested random names they had come up with for me. So I chose (per msn's suggestion) Vagile_Lamb. So the random thought I just had was "I wonder what and who people think I am to have chosen that user name?" It cracks me up.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm

jvcc wrote:It's probably difficult to not give great offense if you're terrible at accents. It doesn't help that for my first year of learning Spanish at this school I was learning Spain Spanish and now I'm being taught by a Puerto Rican woman. I think the accent I use must sound like some horrible amalgamation of Spanish from Europe and South America and my American English.

I'm not very good at accents at all, which is quite disappointing for me. I find the non-rhoticity of my natural accent particularly frustrating, as it makes getting the Rs in foreign words right pretty difficult. Or that might just be me.

chrismachine
Impresses the Females

Postby chrismachine » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:59 pm

I speak a brand of French somewhat unique to the Ottawa valley and the neighbouring parts of Quebec in the Greater Ottawa Area, so it's fun to hear accents from other places as a great many French speakers here speak in a way I am used to. One of my new colleagues is from Nova Scotia and is a francophone, so her accent is awesome to me. I played on a soccer team 2 years ago that had on it at least 5 French speakers, 2 people from Quebec, one from Brussels, and two from France, so I quite enjoyed that as well. My affinity for Monty Python helped my accent repication at a young age, so I would say it is slightly better than average, though well below "good".
Veepa wrote:Very wise words, Master Tiny Legs.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:21 pm

When I speak english I try to sound as naturally english-speaking as I can. I know I'm doing an accent, but, while I can definitely tell you I'm not trying to do a "Southern" or "Brittish" accent, I cannot tell you what is it that I am trying to emulate. My english accent (or attempt at one) is based in Television shows (Inevitable, I guess, since I hear most of my english there), some radio from just across the border in California, and the people with whom I communicate over the phone on a daily basis; they used to be in the Boston area (for the past 7 years) and now in Toronto, and all over the USA.

If I were to keep my normal, mexican accent, I think it would be harder for the people listening to me to understand my words.

On the other hand, when I speak spanish with a person from Spain, or from another Mexican State, I never even try to change my accent becuase that would come off as mocking - I suppose it's because accent is not necessary to facilitate communication when the same language is being used.

And Kelsey: Puerto Ricans for some reason cannot pronounce R's Correctly in spanish (They pronounce them as "L"), this makes me curious about your spanish class :)
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

MysticalDescent

Postby MysticalDescent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:43 pm

fanelian wrote:And Kelsey: Puerto Ricans for some reason cannot pronounce R's Correctly in spanish (They pronounce them as "L"), this makes me curious about your spanish class :)

I swear something along the lines of 'Puerto Lican Good' is screaming out at me.

fanelian
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby fanelian » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:32 pm

We should have a Wine and complain thread. Do we have one? I didn't search. I'd post there while drinking wine. The cheap, delicious kind.
kupo wrote:Everyone has "dark" inside of them unless they've swallowed a flashlight

Binkatron5000
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Binkatron5000 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:49 pm

fanelian wrote:We should have a Wine and complain thread. Do we have one? I didn't search. I'd post there while drinking wine. The cheap, delicious kind.

Hear hear! Booze and complain in general :D
Or just a thread for drunken ramblings. "Internetless" so to speak.
James wrote:I honestly have no idea whether I'm more fruity or plural.

ntw3001 wrote:Is the tattoooed black sperm squirming out of my mouth, or am I sensually nibbling its tail? I don't remember my 21st birthday party.

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Not a huge wine fan. I'm a wimp when it comes to alcohol; I always need to mix it with something sweet to take away its alcoholy flavor. Amaretto and Dr. Pepper are good, or sour apple pucker and Mountain Dew.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:15 pm

*sigh* Now I want some wine, and I don't have easy access to it... mmm... maybe a nice Riesling from the Rhine valley... GAH WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME SO FAN. :?

:P
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 am

jvcc wrote:Not a huge wine fan. I'm a wimp when it comes to alcohol; I always need to mix it with something sweet to take away its alcoholy flavor. Amaretto and Dr. Pepper are good, or sour apple pucker and Mountain Dew.

Rye whiskey and ginger ale is my most favoritest mixed drink in the world at the moment.

loofah
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby loofah » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

fanelian wrote:My english accent (or attempt at one) is based in Television shows (Inevitable, I guess, since I hear most of my english there), some radio from just across the border in California, and the people with whom I communicate over the phone on a daily basis; they used to be in the Boston area (for the past 7 years) and now in Toronto, and all over the USA.

If you're emulating newscasters, apparently they go for a midwestern accent, and depending on where the radio personalities are from, it may be a california accent.
I'd be curious if certain words come out California-surfer like, and others come out Ohio-like. Oh! That reminds me - I will be down in the San Diego and El Centro area in early June. PM me if you want to meet up.
Saltine wrote:This is all logically consistent, but the artist does not go on to explain that you love Hitler. See, this is why logicians don't write popular music.

sum yun gai

Postby sum yun gai » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:05 am

it would be easier if you were coming north instead....
ntw3001 wrote:Sass has to come from the heart, not from the shirt.

traubster wrote:I find it irritating whenever I walk through a cemetery and there's not one gravestone that reads something like, "We're all grateful that he's dead. Sorry if he owed you money."

Skimba
Impresses the Females
Location: I, Frankenstein;Bride of Frankenstein;Son of Frankenstein; Young Frankenstein;Bikini Frankenstein

Postby Skimba » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 am

I was just in the LA area, but only for two nights.
Anyway - So what do the Brittish people think about the royal wedding? It's apparently a huge rickin'-frackin' deal over here where I can't watch a news cast at any time of the day without an update of some sort.
"I want potential romantic and/or sexual prospects to be vaguely reminded of John Wayne Gacy when they see me."

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:35 am

Skimba wrote:I was just in the LA area, but only for two nights.
Anyway - So what do the Brittish people think about the royal wedding? It's apparently a huge rickin'-frackin' deal over here where I can't watch a news cast at any time of the day without an update of some sort.

At least it got pushed off the news for a couple of days by that birth certificate bullhonky. But yeah I noticed this morning it's back with a vengeance.

giantsfan97
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby giantsfan97 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 am

I'm currently pretending to care about the Royal Wedding just so I can have sex with a girl. Don't tell her until tomorrow you guys please
I love this post so much I'm going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant!

PonderThis
Site Admin

Postby PonderThis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

giantsfan97 wrote:I'm currently pretending to care about the Royal Wedding just so I can have sex with a girl. Don't tell her until tomorrow you guys please

Don't lie to your friends. We know you really are into it. I bet you have an Official Royal Wedding Playset and everything. ;)

jvcc
Impresses the Females

Postby jvcc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:13 pm

From the British tv I watch, all the comedians are making fun of it (as they always will), and the news is fixated on her low birth. They did a piece on how just a few generations ago her family worked in a mine. I've cleverly avoiding all the media attention its getting in the US by being too busy with the end of the semester to watch the news.

James
Is a Hero in Bed

Postby James » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm

I'm not even sure when it's happening. I'd quite like not to know until I've actually missed it. I don't really care one way or the other. I mean, I guess it's expensive, but whatever. At least I get a couple of long weekends (although I had to work on Monday because I'm stupid enough to work for a company that gets really busy when everyone's off work). I also didn't buy any tickets for the Olympics, which is the other thing people are talking about a fair amount. I know it won't happen in England again in my lifetime. That doesn't make me interested in spending a lot of money to watch sport. I'm just not that into it, no matter how big, local or infrequent it is.

IanC
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby IanC » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:05 pm

My local (ish) Games Workshop store are running a small Warhammer 40,000 tournament tomorrow, so im going to that instead of watching the wedding.

So wish my Orks good luck!
My Spamusements!
draculahunter wrote:Needs more vomiting skeletons.

Judas Maccabeus
Needs Your Bank Info

Postby Judas Maccabeus » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Well I'll be watching it at least. I'll tell yall how it goes. :P
James wrote:While writing this post I've been gripped by a growing concern that it's nothing more than incredibly tedious navel-gazing. But hey, this is the Internet.

Return to “None of the Above”